Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,527   Online: 1097

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya C330 Lens

My 65mm and 55mm lens for my C330 are not working correctly. Excuse me because i don't know the technically words for the parts on the lens so i hope you can understand. The shutter speed button is sticking. When you crank the shutter button down (either with the camera or with your hand) then click the button to take a photo the shutter button comes up and either doesn't click to close or goes very very slow. My questions are can i fix this myself, or should i pay someone to or perhaps just try to replace it because it would cost too much to fix. Or if it even can be fixed?

I'm rather good at fixing photography equipment it's just that i moved apartments and i don't have a good dust-free area. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like the shutters on the two sets of lenses need a CLA. I have a 55mm lens that had the same problem. It was easily fixed by a good technician who works on mechanical cameras. A CLA is much cheaper than a replacement lens, which may well also need cleaning and lubing.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yep and a good tech is quite worth than doing the job shooting some film and realising that you messed up the job...

Depending on your part of the world you'd be able to find a good service guy to do it for not that much in a way to let them last years...

I'm not telling this can't be done at home... Just that if it's a real job there is a reason.
    Réparation, Restauration d'appareils et équipements anciens, exotiques et modernes: http://www.atelierdeblanc.fr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by badwx25 View Post
    My 65mm and 55mm lens for my C330 are not working correctly. Excuse me because i don't know the technically words for the parts on the lens so i hope you can understand. The shutter speed button is sticking. When you crank the shutter button down (either with the camera or with your hand) then click the button to take a photo the shutter button comes up and either doesn't click to close or goes very very slow. My questions are can i fix this myself, or should i pay someone to or perhaps just try to replace it because it would cost too much to fix. Or if it even can be fixed?

I'm rather good at fixing photography equipment it's just that i moved apartments and i don't have a good dust-free area. Thanks.
    If we know were you live, we may be able to suggest someone to do the CLA.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sell both those WRECKS to me! I'll take them from your hands to spare you the grief!!!
    :-))

There was an issue with my 80mm that I spotted: the MX synch lever. Apparently one of these interfered with the shutter (don't remember which).

When I moved to the other position, my lens started working beutifully and has since. I was out with it today burning film.

I don't plan on using flash with my camera anyway, so I don't care, I have (unmentionables) reserved for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This has happened to a couple of my C330 lenses, too. Just the lubrication getting old and sticky (if it isn't the flash lever in the wrong place - as Erik suggests)... a CLA will easily restore them to full working order...BUT!

The C330 is officially obsolete. I took my lenses to a Mamiya dealer recently and they wouldn't touch them. They recommended someone else but they had gone out of business. An APUG member suggested someone to me... but they never answered my email. I live in the UK - hopefully things may be better where you are! It really shouldn't be a difficult job for a competent repairer of any mechanical camera shutter.

It looks like I might end up doing the CLA myself. I have some engineering ability - and I've tackled many folding camera shutters before.... but If anyone can suggest a repairer in the uk - please let us know, I would still prefer a 'pro' repair, as this is my *best* camera outfit.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They probably just need to be disassembled, cleaned, and properly re-lubricated.

Some parts may need replacement. (I had to have a spring replaced on one of the silver shutters once when it was having similar problems as you describe.) If this is the case, your technician should be able to get factory parts from Mamiya if you have a black-shuttered lens, but will need to pick the boneyard for parts if you have an older silver-shuttered lens.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have lenses that stick on the M synch setting, too. Check that they're on X sync and try them again before sending them to a tech...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Pretty much everyone confirmed what i thought that it need to be cleaned and re-lubricated.

Does anyone know any good repair shops etc. in the nyc?

Shooter
    35mm
    Before you send it off for cleaning/repairing, sit down with it while you watch TV or something and just repeatedly cock and release the shutter. I've had shutters of that general type (I believe including a Mamiya C-series lens) that behaved as you describe, but just running them through a few dozen cycles got them working much better. I speculate that the lens had sat in a closet for long enough that the lubrication got a bit gummy, but working the mechanism a few times smoothed it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin