Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,489   Online: 1063

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeing Square

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Everyone:

I think I am going to enjoy what I have and shoot lots of film. It's the only way I will learn.

Shalom.
    Eric
    Shalom my friends.

Eric Redard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric,
    What part of the Bay State are you in?
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Redard
    Thanks Everyone:

I think I am going to enjoy what I have and shoot lots of film. It's the only way I will learn.

Shalom.
    Eric
    I think you will notice rigth away if it fits you. I love the square format, as a matter of fact I am thinking of asking Jim Chinn to make me an insert for his holders with a square format, something like 12x12, dont know, but square I found very easy to compose and shoot. Hope you like it.

Shooter
    Medium Format

you can always crop the shot

Eric,
    I like the square its equal on all sides, meaning that you will never
    worry if you're going to shoot vedrtical or horizonal...you can crop to either
    or leave as is. There is really nothing like Zeiss lenses.
    cheers
    Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I think you will notice rigth away if it fits you. I love the square format, as a matter of fact I am thinking of asking Jim Chinn to make me an insert for his holders with a square format, something like 12x12, dont know, but square I found very easy to compose and shoot. Hope you like it.
    You know that would make some really nice work, different ... kinda like the round work Kerik did on 8x10. Jim may be opening up a whole new market for all of us, just think a 12x12, 16x16. Seems like there were a lot more UL formats at the turn of the last century...would be cool to see more again.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    The most rational argument I've seen for 6x7 is that a lot of pro's are shooting for magazines and stock libraries (which ultimatly end up in magazines and the like). In these cases the rectangular format (ideally 6x9 but 6x7 is more practical) allows more of the negative to be used in the final image. 6x6 would need to be cropped to fit a magazine page.

Ian
    Many magazine editors like the square neg as they can crop it any way they want, giving more options for final page layout. No doubt there are editors who prefer the rectangular formats, but I doubt either would turn away a good photo.
    Just because you have a 6x6, doesn't mean you can't have a 6x7, or 6x4.5, or 4x5 or 8x20 or...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shoot an old Rollei 6x6cm and I too have difficulty in "seeing square". One aid that works for me is a small device I made from a piece of thin clear acrylic and two pieces of mat board that crops my groundglass to the "long" 8x12 format. When I'm feeling ambivalent about what format will reflect what I'm seeing I just drop the thing onto the finder and see whether it makes the image pop in a different way.

Or I just say "screw it", shoot square and crop in the darkroom!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot a Mamiya TLR AND a Bronica ETRsi.

Honestly, I just crop in the viewfinder and waste paper if I have to.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's my usual shortcut too, but sometimes I really want to "see" the image, not merely pre-visualize it.

I think I still have an old piece of black/white matte board cut into the traditional rectangular proportions that I made after reading Adams for the first time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a point to that. I did get my ETRsi because I didn't want to figure things out when it came to images best served by a rectangular format.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin