Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,850   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    My advice: Do not try to disassemble any lens you care about without prior experience.

Internal specks have no effect on the image. Why worry about nothing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    My advice: Do not try to disassemble any lens you care about without prior experience.

Internal specks have no effect on the image. Why worry about nothing?
    Agreed, why take a huge risk for almost zero gain! Up to a point, it's only a cosmetic problem anyway. But if it really bothers you, pay for professional cleaning, which isn't risk free either by the way.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some lenses don't need major dis-assembly to be cleaned.

Your Goertz LF lens, presumably a Goerz Dagor, Dogmar or something is probably in a shutter is simple, just unscrew the front & rear cells and clean carefully, the barrel version is the same, no tools are required. My own Dagor was sold to me described as having separation, all that was wrong was 60 years of grime around the edges where gently cleaning had accumulated the dirt. I use a trade liquid glass cleaner with great care.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have all the tools necessary for disassembling lenses and cleaning them. The main thing to remember is the order of the elements and where any spacers go. Easy to do for simple lenses and not much harder for complicated zoom lenses as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. Many of my lenses have been refurbished this way. Shutters are a different story and can be a pain in the a$$. Still not that hard if you have the right tools. A mechanical aptitude also helps.

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    A while back I loaded up a camera I had not used for a while and shot a roll of transparency fiilm. When I got the results back and put them on the projrctor I noticed many of them looked a bit 'light'. Getting up close there was plenty of detail, but there were faint 'halos' around some objects. The pictures were perfectly acceptable, and I actually quite liked the look. Looking through the lens revealed the reason - I could hardly see through! There was so much fungus inside I was amazed it took pictures at all. As described above I screwed the elements off and cleaned them. However, since then I have not worried too much about a little internal dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I recommend against opening a lens without specific training.
    I have had specific training on certain lenses - and I still recommend against it!!!

Depends on the lens, though. A Victorian brass lens you can (usually) unscrew fairly easily. An autofocus Nikon I wouldn't even think about. There is a lot in between...

For me the dividing line is when the cost of a pro clean starts to approach or exceed the value of the lens - which it does most often with my collection of old curios...

With the LF Geortz, I'd go for it. With the Eastern block lenses I'd think twice (I might for a stuck iris, but probably not for dust). With Zeiss lenses for a Hassleblad? No **** way!!!!

It is well documented that a little dust has no measurable effect on sharpness and not much on flare, either. How dusty are these lenses?
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure there is another thread on here somewhere where a member linked to an article on the WWW where someone starts with a clean lens, takes a picture, sticks some dust on it - takes a picture, sticks tape on it - takes a picture. I think they ended up smashing it with a hammer before the picture quality deteriorated significantly! Even then, I'll bet some liked the effect
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Internal dust is nothing. You'll never, ever, ever, ever, ever have any reason to worry about it.

Check this out: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008...ment-scratches

I used to have a link to someone who had an old, I believe, Minolta 35-70 or something similar that's not a very useful zoom on digital, that they mounted onto a Sony DSLR and progressively beat the crap out of more and more. Pretty much same results. No issue with the smaller scratches, and by the time the whole front element was shattered, it was only moderately soft, slightly less contrast, and only had any serious issues (flare, predictably) shooting into the light.

Spend however much money you were planning to spend on a nice steak dinner, and find something better to worry about than a couple specks of dust on the inside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, don't worry about it. Through utter stupidity, while converting my 35mm f/2.8 Nikkor to AI I got some aluminum dust inside. After several rolls of film I still cannot see any difference from before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    I'm sure there is another thread on here somewhere where a member linked to an article on the WWW where someone starts with a clean lens, takes a picture, sticks some dust on it - takes a picture, sticks tape on it - takes a picture. I think they ended up smashing it with a hammer before the picture quality deteriorated significantly! Even then, I'll bet some liked the effect
    There was a web page (gone now AFAIK) where a lens with a shattered front element
    was tested and images were posted. They were all beautiful with no hint of the
    damage done.

I have a Schneider telephoto with a large crack on the front glass and it's still
    one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin