Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,251   Online: 743

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

internal dust in lenses

I have had internal dust in some of my lenses, and being a sharpness nut, that bothers me.
    Is there a tool kit available that would allow someone who is an ex rocket "scientist" who is pretty handy to clean the lenses myself? I have had problems with Zeiss for Hasselblad, goertz for LF, and lately, my Communist lenses for my Hasselblaski.

It would seem a kit would be popular.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once you see the price for a professional cleaning you'll likely not worry about it so much. A bit of internal dust really isn't an impediment to sharpness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dust won't cause a lack of sharpness, but may affect the contrast. I wouldn't worry about the dust. If you get the lens apart and don't get the elements back in perfect alignment, then you will have a sharpness problem. It is also almost impossible to eliminate all of the dust. Some will get in during the process of cleaning and assembling the lens no matter how careful you are. The only way to avoid it is to have a laminar flow workstation.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    herb

Let a pro handle it, or you'll be sorry. I had a Nikon lens cleaned, lubed and adjusted on an optical bench by a certified Nikon repair shop for $50. I asked to watch him do it and it was a very humbling experience. I would never even try to do it myself. There are a million things that can go wrong.

By the way, you're just doing this for that fuzzy feeling in your stomach. Lens performance is not visibly affected by a little dust.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I had a Nikon lens cleaned, lubed and adjusted on an optical bench by a certified Nikon repair shop for $50.
    The quotes (and bills) I've paid in the past couple of years for such services have been 2 to 3X what you paid. Either that was a long time ago or you have a very affordable tech at your disposal!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The quotes (and bills) I've paid in the past couple of years for such services have been 2 to 3X what you paid. Either that was a long time ago or you have a very affordable tech at your disposal!
    With a bit of patience, you can get it for free. Nikon frequently offers free lens cleaning at major events like Photokina or sales events at Calumet. In any case, I recommend against opening a lens without specific training.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Medium Format

Internat dust in lenses

Ok guys, I give up. I will see if I can work a deal with my local tech.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    Ok guys, I give up. I will see if I can work a deal with my local tech.
    Smart move!

You one can save oneself $100 in pro-repairs by using a small screwdriver and do it oneself, but then, one needs $300 to fix the damage one did with the screwdriver!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can ensure a top notch dust free environment, get a spanner wrench and go for it. Its really not rocket science. But You may get more dust in there doing it by yourself, even though I do clean lenses myself, but then, i do understand that risk. Another thing you have to watch is scratching the paints off on the threads for the retainers.
    - Derek

I am looking for a parts Synchro Compur #00.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, whatever I said about a screwdriver goes for a spanner wrench too!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin