Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,797   Online: 889

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a nice picture of a guy holding one here: http://tokyocamerastyle.com/post/917...a-fujifilm-670

By the way, the entire site, Tokyo Camera Style, is a pleasure to read if you are a film camera fan.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bought one about a week ago, have run over 10 rolls through it, and wrote about my impressions here: http://wp.me/ph0f6-1K Hope you find it helpful :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MarkG, thanks for the link to your site, really useful review of the GF670 in real world conditions, some stunning images that make me want to go out and buy the 670 NOW! and also the first I'd heard of the GF670W. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a GF670, particularly now that it can be imported from the US to the UK for significantly less than the original list price (UK retailers are still trading at the old price). I'm relatively new to the world of Medium Format and I'm looking to replace my Bronica SQ-AI with a more portable street shooter (the SQ-AI shutter sounds like an 18 wheeler truck driving by and is about the size of one too- not good for unobtrusive shooting!). Could you answer a few questions from a complete newbie to the rangefinder camera?

1) I'm imagining from what I've read that the viewfinder shows an outline of the frame, and I understand it's about an 88% view- how does that display in the viewfinder? Does the frame outline disappear above the top edge of the viewfinder? i.e. is it easy to 'guesstimate' the actual frame coverage so that you can frame your shot correctly?
    2) How does the viewfinder meter display work? Is it a simple green light for correct exposure, red light for incorrect exposure? Or is there a display of the suggested shutter speed? I'm trying to visualise what I'll be looking at since there's little chance of me getting to play with one in the flesh before buying...
    3) Has there been any suggestion of when the 670W will be released and whether there's likely to be any further price revisions on the 670 as a result? I've already been slightly burned buying an Olympus EP-1 about 3 weeks before the EP-2 was released, would hate to invest substantial cash in the 670 only to have the price slashed a few months later...

Thanks for any advice you can provide, and thanks for the great review on the GF670- the only other substantial review is Steve Huff's one, nice to get another user's impressions.

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jason, glad you found the articles helpful . . . regarding your questions:

1) the frame lines within the viewfinder reach almost to the edge but I haven't had any difficulty composing with it. Since I use rangefinders almost exclusively, I no longer expect an exact correlation between what I see in the viewfinder and what is captured. A little approximation is always a part of my compositional process

2) The metering display in the viewfinder is pretty clever. A row of shutter speeds is displayed on the right side, highest at the top (1/500) down to the lowest. If you're shooting in Aperture Priority mode, then the shutter speed selected by the metering system is displayed (based, of course, on the aperture you have selected). But, if you are shooting "old style" (what I call "match needle"), then as you move the shutter speed dial on top of the camera, your selection is illuminated BUT the metering system also displays in a dimmer red illumination what it believes is the correct shutter speed. Pretty clever, actually. I like it. What I don't like is that there is no display of the selected aperture in the viewfinder.

3) I have no information beyond what I've shared about a release date for the 670W. Regarding the price of the GF670: I did a spot check this morning and the price is holding at $1799 and I won't speculate about further decreases. Since the announced GF670W is meant to be a complement to the GF670 and not a replacement, I don't think it will cause any downward price pressure on the GF670. My view on pricing is simple: I don't buy unless I am happy with what I am paying at that moment . . . if the price drops the next day, so be it. At the moment I purchased, it was to my mind a fair bargain.

Hope this helps,

Mark
    Leica MP, M7, Fujifilm GF670
    http://markgoodephotos.wordpress.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin