Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,816   Online: 990

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bronica ETRSi, 75mm PE or EII ??

I'm putting together an ETRSi system and cant decide between the 75mm PE or EII lens. I've seen some things written that say the EII is every bit as good as the PE version and the EII is considerably cheaper. Anyone out there have some good first person type information/experience on these two lenses? I understand that the PE has half stop increments and the EII is only full stop and this may be enough to sway me to the PE but what about optical performance?

Thanks for any input...
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Check out Cheryl Jacobs gallery, she uses the Bronica and pretty much only one lens. I have had Bronica cameras since S2A days, currently Bronica RF 645, I have been impressed with how sharp all of the lenses are. 16 x 20 prints are no sweat.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your funds stretch to it, go for the PE lens. I used to have a Bronica ETRSi before switching to a Mamiya RZ67. The 75mm PE is is excellent I assure you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 75mm PE, I have a 100mm EII, they both are great glass. I am not convinced that you'd perceive much difference. The PE has half stop aperture which the EII does not offer. I can't imagine that, in today's day, there would be much of a price difference between both lenses. I'd still go for the PE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all for the input. Not sure if I care or not about 1/2 stops...it would be nice but other cameras I have don't do it either. As to cost, its about a $30 difference. Not much at all except I'm doing this one on a budget and that extra $30 would make the second back much easier to buy. I'm off to work tonight and will have all night and the next day to ponder...
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE lenses retain a marginal increase in value in the used market compared to the MC and EII. I have the 50mm MC, 75mm EII and the 150mm PE and all three are teriffic lenses, sharp and very good at the corners. As Delphine has noted you will not notice any percieved differences between the EII and PE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the same setup - the PE is the way I went for some of the reasons listed above - oh, and in terms of market value I bought the lens new old stock (which I was warned can be a little dangerous due to potentially sticky shutters or some such thing) and after using it for a couple of years sold it off for more than I originally paid.

And don't turn your nose up at 1/2 stops, they can sometimes make all the difference.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you the type of person who will always wonder if the PE is better than the EII? Or can you buy the EII and just move on? Serious question! I bought the EII, and I know that I have my moments looking at a PE on ebay and think, yep time to see if it really is better.

So if it will always bug you, spend the $30 now and get it behind you. Over the years, that money will be minor.

But if you can be content with an excellent lens without the half-stop aperture settings, get the EII, the extra back, and get shooting. Either way, you'll get good shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the end it was the PE. I normally buy all my gear from KEH and had the system selected with an EX condition ETRSi body. Coming back today to place the order the EX body was no longer available. I usually buy BGN grade gear from KEH though so I re-selected a BGN body, saving much money allowing me to go with the PE lens and 2 120 backs. So, the body with the Speedgrip E, an AEIII prisim, 2 120 AI backs, and the 75mm PE and 150mm MC lens' are ordered!

To Dan Daniel; It is a good question but no not having the PE wouldn't bother me. I could have gone with the EII and been happy with it I'm sure. I decided though that the money saved with the BGN grade body was better spent to get the half stops.

Now the waiting begins....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice setup! Enjoy.

The Bronica equipment is so reasonably priced, I find it has been easy to put together a very complete kit.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin