Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,324   Online: 907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Argus Day with my Argoflex

Today I used my recent purchase of a used Argoflex model E. I did a bit of research to ensure that the camera would accept 120 although it was designed for 620. The camera is in pretty good condition but it lacks the sport finder. So this morning I loaded the film and proceed to wind. And wind. And wind. And wind again. Something isn't right..shouldn't I see numbers in the little red window? So I open the back to peek and see that I had advanced past frame 2. But the indicators are not in the middle. I proceed to wind 3-4 turns, take a shot and wind another 3-4 turns for another shot etc. Although guessing how many turns to the next frame..I still kept my eye glued to the red window..but no numbers ever appeared. I have no idea what the pro shop will think or be able to do to create full frame prints. So much for my $$experience$$ for MF and ARGUS DAY.

I have a very expensive decayed light box aka Box-Tengor...that came loaded and the numbers appeared in that camera's window.

Scratching my head,

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    p.s. just figured out what I did wrong..the little window has a cover operated by a wing styled knob...I got the open/close position backwards... I'm now on frame 12. Geez.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations! You have now put the number one error(pun intended)of the old MF red window "what the heck exposure am I on" goof up behind you. Now you can work on the "oh crap, I forgot to set the ______" (fill in the blank)screw up. Heck, you probably have some incredible shots that are gonna come out okay after all. Keep up the good work.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I readily admit going out to shoot with some of the older cameras after sloughing off into laziness with point and shoot auto-everything taxes me a bit from time to time, but once past the initial challenge, it's pretty exciting. I was out earlier today for Argus Day with my venerable C3, purchased new by me in 1958 but gathering dust in the back of a closet from about 1965 to 2006! I still bang a finger with that shutter cocking lever occasionally, but all in all it does OK.

Hopefully you managed to get a few decent frames in spite of the window error. And you get points just for getting out and trying an Argus product today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Argus Day? Damn, I didn't even know about it. I have a seventy-five that I have been dying to shot but I have to respool the 120 film cause it just won't fit right.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't get out with any of my Argi (?) yesterday, too much to do. I wish I could have...

I'm curious about you saying that your E lacks the sports finder. I have an E, and the sports finder is just the center section of the front of the hood that pushes down revealing a square frame. The rear of the hood has a smaller square that makes the back of the sports finder. Does yours have a different hood?
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Argus Day? Damn, I didn't even know about it. I have a seventy-five that I have been dying to shot but I have to respool the 120 film cause it just won't fit right.
    Ditto. And my Argoflex has a sports finder. Check out my avatar.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apologies to those who hadn't heard about Argus Day. I posted about it on the Collector & Antiques forum the other day, but I had been reluctant to say too much about it because the last two years the follow-through on getting the pictures online has been pretty slow and erratic. I suppose in the future we could just consider it a virtual event and exercise the cameras regardless of what happens afterward. An indication on the Flickr discussion group that the "management" was still around and saying the event was on only happened a few days ago.

So hey, the next Argus Day should be Argust 11th, 2011, we'll try harder.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reid, I guess I had the sports finder confused with the spot focusing lens(?). I had to go back and re-read Matt's article
    http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/argoflex_e.html. I found a picture of the mini-lens in a manual that butkus has posted, but did not wish to infringe on his copyright. Other than not being complete it looks with exception to slight brassing like it came right out of the box.

Back to the shooting. I was set up and ready to go hoping to catch the early morning light and clouds, the neighborhood. Per the meter I set the aperture to between 6.3 and 4.5. Did everyone have superman vision in those days? Teeny-weeny numbers.

The tri-x was 100 so I set the shutter at 100. The "12" frame shot at the end of the day was set at 12.7.
    It will most likely be blurry...can't seem to focus in fading light. The morning "off frame" shots were set to inifinity.[can't focus in early light either]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    DW. I have a C-3 Matchmatic. Came with flash and bulbs! And a soligor telephoto. The camera is too scary looking to operate. I also purchased a GSN rangefinder from the same photog. It came with the original (nearly new) never-ready case and tele wide adapters, special parallax viewfinder that sits on the shoe(?) to work with the adapters. I have used the GSN. But I did not enjoy the experience and in fact it still has a 1 or 2 frames left. It's been sitting for months. I guess I should just rewind / develop as I doubt I will pick it up to take another shot. Because of that I will probably not get close to the C-3. I had/have a horrible experience with a minoltina al-s. I think I had better times with the Konica EE-matic, but can't find the proof.

Looking forward to your Argus Day C-3 celebration results!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin