Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,138   Online: 806

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashica TLR Thread

Many years ago, I purchased what would be the first of several Yashica TLRs, with no light meter, It was a LM, and then a Yashica Mat. I was sneered at by the Rollie shooters, and the "high tech" 35mm guys. Yesterday I found a roll of Kodak Ektachrome that I had shot 20+ years ago right after I had married my lovely wife. Due to various trials and tribulations, I had to stop shooting film (too much cost), and got out of photography for many years. But I did manage to hold on to my negatives 35mm, 2 1/4, and 4x5. I am now marvelling at the quality of images out of the "lowly" Yashica TLR cameras.

Anyone else here have some loving for the Yashica TLRs? I still have my LM, and actually found a roll of film (way out of date) that I might shoot just to see what comes out.

IMO the Yashica's were tough, no frills, decent cameras with good to excellent optics that made wonderful images with a little TLC.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    I've got an A and a D. Love the A for being my first MF camera. Love the D for the pictures it makes for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph View Post
    tough, no frills, decent cameras with good to excellent optics
    I just picked up a D a while ago, and you nailed it. Certainly no frills, but it's fun to use and gets the job done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My first 120 camera was a Yashica, purchased in 1957. It was an excellent camera, no meter, but very good optics. I was already using 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, so had a good idea as to what I wanted from the smaller camera. It did the job.

Fifty years later, in 2007, I purchased my second Yashica, a "G", and again, it did the job. I purchased it for travel, my favorite camera being a heavier Rollei 66 which I have used since the early 70's, but wanted something lighter.

Along the way I have owned a Minolta Autocord, several Mamiya TLR's, a Fuji 6x7, but that first Yashica will always be fondly remembered.

www.mergross.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Yashica Mat from 1957 w/ original leather case in basically new condition. It's a nice camera, but I don't use it because the GG is quite dim. Does anyone make a replacement GG for it that is more modern and brighter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a 44 and 635 both cheap at flea markets last year, havent used the 44 yet-having a hard time coming to grips with paying more for a roll of film than I did for the camera.
    Really suprised at how well I like the 635 though, nice camera. I doubt I'll ever even try the 35 mm adapter that came with it, just cant see the point in using 35 film in a MF camera
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just recently picked up a Yashica A and a D. Ended up having to send the D in for a CLA, but it should be a great camera for a long time now. Not sure how comfortable I'll get with the waist level finder, but It's fun to play with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my Yashica D used in 1978 and still use it on a regular basis. Light weight, great optics and easy to use. My Sekonic L-86 of the same vintage supplies accurate exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought my first Yashica D back in 1969, and loved it. I think I shot my best work with it. I traded it for transportation(a Suzuki motorcycle) and have regretted it since. I picked up another D a couple of years ago, its just as good as my first, though its an older model. I laso have Mamiya C-220 and C-330's, and Kodak Duaflex TLR's, the Yash is still special(and light weight).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems to have good respect here, if not a little cult following.

I have a yashica-C. Newer ones have better lenses, but I like it and have made some realllllly nice photos with it. It is very quiet and charms people everywhere I go.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin