Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,664   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Damn that Holga, it's so hot right now!

So after toying around with Medium Format for about a year now I've noticed how more and more stores around are trying to push film as a niche market - heck, even the big "corporate" digital photo store in central Oslo are trying to sell these silly "Blackbird" twin lens 35mm (if it's twin lens, why the hell are they 35mm and not 120?) cameras. And so I was checking out these two stores who sell Holgas, until I saw the price tag.

I mean, come on, 100 bucks for a toy camera? I got my Perkeo II for half the price (of which I prefer to the 1997 model Mamiya 645 system I bought later on).

It kind of reminds me of these middle aged women who pay big bucks on expensive paint, paper, and prefabricated canvases and other silly hobby crap - when you can get wood boards and (hardly) used canvases from out of a dumpster and buy decent acrylics or just artists charcoal at Canadian Tire type stores.

All in all, I don't have any good reason for having that much against these people, as I'm not the one getting ripped off on this. But it's all just so stupid I had to make a little rant of it, at least, just to give my two cents on it all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whether a camera is a TLR or SLR or rangefinder or whatever is independent of format.

I got three Blackbirds when they came out. I got them for $80 a piece through an E-Bay seller in England. I kept a blue one for myself, gave an orange one to a friend, and gave a black one to my favorite teacher for Christmas (mainly for future use in the Experimental Photography class that I tutor, in which there is a plastic camera assignment). They are expensive, even at $80, but I fell in love with some of the example photos from them, so took the "plunge." I have ended up getting my money's worth from the camera.

When I first got it I posted my thoughts here on A.P.U.G.: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum234/...pressions.html
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-16-2010 at 09:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The hipsters-overpaying-for-Holgas thread has been discussed a number of times. I think the general consensus seems to be a) buying Holgas at Urban Outfitters is not your best camera value and b) whatever sells more film is good. personally, I don't really have that much of a problem with it. They want something that's obviously not-digital, and if anybody gets really into it, they'll look further.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of this topic... I was at Urban Outfitters the other day wondering if they still had C41 120 film "3" packs of $11. Nope, just B/W 120 3 packs for $18!! It did not even note if it was a chromogenic C41 film or traditional B/W or any info at all!
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not in my opinion the ideal way to keep film alive but if the Holga people are buying good quality not expired film, and having it processed, it's all good with me because it will keep the film in my cameras....and maybe, just maybe some of the people that buy these will pick up an interest in buying a more sophisticated camera
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Should have thought as much (with the topic already being discussed and all), just a somewhat recent thing with the Lomos coming into retail stores here on this remote part of the world.

I guess it might be a good thing if film becomes more available due to the stores trying to sell plastic analog cameras that way.

It all just seems a bit backwards according to my personal experiences - as I came into the medium format world with a rather decent, cheap, camera. And as for 35mm, getting a good enough SLR was just a matter of borrowing from an older generation.

And I know that TLRs come in both formats, and have for some time - I just think if you're going to make a plastic camera for people to toy around with, it doesn't cost them much, and makes for a better deal to make it a medium format type (but that might just be the way I see it, and not the pov. of everyone else)
    Last edited by Top-Cat; 08-16-2010 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw some place in San Fransisco that for $60 you got a holga camera, 2xrolls of film scanned or printed, beer and pizza as well as a day of playing with the new toy with other like minded people. You could Bring your own and enjoy the day for $30 - so $30 for one seem very reasonable, as did the whole day. (Shame I'm on the other side of the Pacific)

Shooter
    35mm
    A Lubitel TLR goes for about $400! Get one off Ebay for a fraction of that. Why get a Holga when you can have your pick of classic box cameras to achieve much the same result with a bit more panache?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've been asked 'is that a holga/is that a lomo' more than 'is that leica / hasselblad'... all in reference to the TLR i was using mind you. I think those cameras simply have more mindshare in some market segments right now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in Oz, the classic Lomo LC-a is over $500 on the official (?) lomography site. That for a camera which was designed for the everyman Soviet who was probably lucky to earn $500 in a year...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin