Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,714   Online: 1122

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve:
    I have an Ensign 820 and I'd be happy to post some pictures of the pins you are missing but I can't figure out how to add photos to this reply. If you are still interested in seeing them and can clue me in to the picture posting procedure I'll follow through.
    Adrian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Adrian. To add pictures you need to upload them either to an image hosting site (a lot of people seem to use Photobucket) or to your own web-space which most/all ISPs provide for their customers, which is what I do. For the latter you need to use an FTP program for upload. Once the image is uploaded you write your forum post and click on the 'Insert image' button at the top (it's the one with a picture of a tiny tree!) and then insert the web-address of the picture in the dialogue box. When you've done it once it's easy, but if the learning curve looks a bit too steep I'll PM you my email address so you could send a picture as an attachment!

At the moment I'm deciding what the diameter of the pins should be; I think it will want to be just about as big as the semi-circular end on the short leg of the L-shaped slot (about .098"). steven_e007's Ranger looks that way, but a picture of an 820 would be extremely helpful as confirmation. I'm pretty certain it would be impossible to measure the diameter accurately on an assembled camera. I've got the lens-board erected at the moment with a wire through the holes, so I can see how it works, and I can see the diameter isn't critical in itself for the accurate alignment of the lens board, as I thought at first, but will affect how rigid it is.

By the way, my idea of a larger diameter shoulder to give better support where the pin fits to the strut wouldn't work due to clearance problems. Also, the lens/shutter unit came off easily once I made a suitable tool. The retaining ring has 4 slots in its perimeter and the bellows (at full extension) allow you to access two at a time, so you have to unscrew it by 1/4 turns.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also "attach" images to a thread.

Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom right, and then the stylized paper clip that is in amongst the icons. You can then upload the image from your computer - just be sure to note the information in the table that pops up about file types, sizes and dimensions.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    A minor update: I think my idea of making the pins with a larger diameter shoulder where they fit to the struts may not be impossible. It rather looks as though the struts were chrome-plated with the pins already fitted, and the unplated area inside the struts, where the pins used to be, has a diameter of about .15", quite a bit bigger than the working diameter of the pin can be, which makes it look as though the originals may have had just such a shoulder. It would be very interesting to hear what your camera looks like here, Adrian.

Also, thanks for your information, Matt. I'll try that myself next time I post an image.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Steve:

Sorry for the delayed response - I have been away for the past 10 days.

Here are some photos of the pin in question from my Selfix 820. The first image shows the pin from the outside... I really had to angle the light to get this to show up - it is virtually flush with the chrome support bar and almost invisible. The second shows the pin when looking downwards. The third image might give you the most information in that it shows how the "hidden" side of the pin looks.

I hope these photos help.
    Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ensign1.jpg   Ensign2.jpg   Ensign3.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    That's great, Adrian. They are extremely clear pictures and will do the job very nicely. I'm pleased to see the pins do have a shoulder (or flange) as I thought. It makes the lathe-work a bit trickier, but the chances of a reliable result are much better.

Many thanks,
    Steve.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin