Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,378   Online: 994

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Depressed Ensign Selfix 820 - a couple of questions.

I bought this rather sad looking Selfix 820 last weekend!

Its primary problem is that 2 pins are missing which should be fitted to the forward part of the chromed struts at the holes visible, and engage in the L-shaped slots so that the lens erects properly. Can someone with a similar camera describe what the pins should look like? Are they a plain pin, or mushroom headed? Is there any obvious sign of how they are attached to the struts? The holes are plain, not threaded, so I'd guess they must be riveted/peened in place, though they can't protrude above the outer surface or they would catch on the upper part of the strut when folded.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the lens/shutter unit from the lens board? Viewed from the back there is what could be a retaining ring in the usual place around the rear element, but there are no slots or holes for a spanner, and it is very much obscured by the forward fold of the bellows.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think, just from looking at the picture, that a loose rivit of sorts.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ensign used to put an exploded view drawing of the camera in the users manual 'to guide servicing'. I don't know that it would show the shape of the pin, though.

Most any pin that is a no-slop fit in the L-shaped track should work. You would need a threaded hole at one end to attach it to the standard. If the pin can be made long enough that it doesn't pop out you are finished. Otherwise you may need to drill the other end (or use a hollow pin) and put in a washer and screw to keep the pin in the slot.

If you are lucky the slot is a standard width, like 1/8" or 3mm, and you can buy a pin that will fit. Auto parts stores may have pins that will work. Stay away from 'roll pins': they are oversize and are meant for hammering into a hole in a block of metal.

It is possible to 'turn down' brass with a drill press: chuck a short length of rod into the press and use a file against the spinning rod. Move the file up and down the work piece so you don't get a groove in it or get it all 'pear shaped'. You can also use this technique to make a square cut in a rod by holding a hacksaw blade against the spinning rod.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-17-2010 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    There aren't any illustrations in the (downloaded) manual that show the pins. I'll have another search around the web looking for photos that might show them.

I've got a lathe, and the current plan is to turn replacement pins out of stainless steel. It probably isn't obvious in the photo, and I haven't checked accurately yet, but the diameter that runs in the L-shaped slot would be about 3/32" and the diameter that fits in the strut about 1/16".

The tricky part will be peening the outer ends into the hole. I'm pretty sure this is how they would have been fitted. The outer end of the hole does look to have a very slight countersink. I'll need to do quite a bit of dismantling to get good access and when I start swinging a hammer I will want the shutter/lens unit to be somewhere else, so I'll still need to figure out how to remove it.
    Last edited by Grytpype; 08-17-2010 at 05:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Grytpype,

It's August, is it time we exchanged an Agifmatic email again? ;-)

I have an Ensign Ranger - a much humbler camera than the Selfix, but I think the strut assembly is very similar.

I've just had a look at it and the pins are very simple affairs, basically a flat headed rivet push fitted into the hole. The flat disk is innermost and the pin facing outward.

I've taken a couple of pics - but do I need to upload them to an image hosting service before I can post them? I'll have a fiddle...
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here you go, but I'm not sure whether these help at all, now I've posted them...

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks, Steve. It does look much the same. I think the missing pins on the Selfix correspond with the one visible in your 3rd picture, in the curved slot. It looks as though it is a plain pin without a mushroom head.

The puzzling thing, if it works the way I think, is that there is quite a wide gap between the strut, where the pin should be mounted, and the plate with the L-shaped slot, due to them being on opposite sides of the pivot plate on the door (nearly 1/8" gap on the Selfix). This means the pins have to be quite long relative to their diameter, and puts a great strain on their mountings, possibly the reason they came out. I'll think about making new ones with a larger diameter shoulder to give more support where they fix to the strut.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Steve,

Yep, the those pins are just a straight cylindrical pin which don't even seem to to peened over - just a tight press fit.

Steve
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may want to pay attention to the type and hardness of the steel and also make sure they have been burnished. Under a 10x power loop, they should look smooth like a automobile chrome bumper. Perhaps a very light application of a good clock oil.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    By the way, my second question is resolved. The retaining ring for the lens/shutter unit does have slots - on its outer edge, just visible with the bellows fully extended. I'll need to make a tool to unscrew it without risking damage to the bellows.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin