Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,740   Online: 909

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

65mm f/4.5 lens won't fit on RB67 Pro SD camera

I've had a Mamiya RB67 Pro for some time now, along with 127mm and 65mm lenses. Recently, I bought an SD body. I can't figure out why the 65mm lens won't mount on the SD body. It works perfectly on the Pro, but it feels as if there's something obstructing the lens when I fit it on the SD. I've tried to fit it to the SD immediately after removing it from the Pro, to eliminate any errors on my part, but no go. When returned to the Pro body, it works fine, of course. AFAIK, it should work on both cameras. The 127mm works fine on both bodies. Both are non-C lenses.

Any suggestions?

Kumar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really am not sure about these (i am new owner of a Pro-S), but could it be that there is an adapter that allows you to put the lens on the Pro and maybe needs to be removed to be fit to the Pro-SD? Or maybe there's an adapter in the Pro-SD that needs to be removed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Pro SD (which I have) has a larger opening at the lens mount. Older lenses can be fitted with a collar to ensure good registration of the lens to the body. This will need to be taken off when putting the lens on an older body with a smaller diameter opening.

http://www.adorama.com/MYRBLMAR.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for all your replies, but I'm no closer to solving this than earlier. I've uploaded some photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/10413151...OWy0-ySwN_4qQE
    As you can see, the 65mm mounts on the Pro, but not on the SD, while the 127mm works on both bodies.
    I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't figure it out!

TIA,
    Kumar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding has always been that the larger throat on the Pro SD results in a sloppy but otherwise fully functional connection between the camera and the older lenses. Use of the adapter takes out the "sloppy" factor, and helps protect against dust and moisture making its way into the body.

Does the 65mm mount and function?

FWIW, the mount on the 65mm pictured looks to be very worn (looking at the wear pattern at about 3:30 in the picture posted).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Both are original lenses, prior to the C models. And the 65mm is used, but functions perfectly on the older Pro camera, with good results. But it won't mount on the SD, which is the reason for this thread...

Kumar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Both are original lenses, prior to the C models. And the 65mm is used, but functions perfectly on the older Pro camera, with good results. But it won't mount on the SD, which is the reason for this thread...

Kumar
    Hi Kumar:

Both your camera bodies will likely have some wear in the lens mount, as will the lenses. If I understand these mounts correctly, they are designed to be usable and accurate even when somewhat worn or slightly damaged. If, however, the wear or damage gets to be too much, they will stop working.

It may be that the wear points on the 65mm lens and the older RB are complementary, and therefore allow you to mount the lens on the older body. If the wear on the Pro SD lens mount is not complementary to the wear on the lens, it may not work.

When I asked if the 65mm could be mounted on the Pro SD body I chose my words poorly - sorry about the confusion. I was trying to determine whether it was a situation where the lens appeared to function, despite what appeared to be a poor fit, or whether it was a situation where the lens could not be made to work on the camera at all.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Matt, I understand. As you can see in the photo "65mm Lens on RB67 Pro SD", the lens will simply not mount on the SD. It feels as if there is something obstructing it. Can you figure out if there's anything wrong with the body or the lens from the other photos?

Kumar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kumar:

The only thing that I can see from the photos is the fairly extensive wear on the mount of the 65mm lens (at about 3:30 in the photo).

EDIT: I've just noticed that it appears that the two lenses may not be cocked the same way (the pin adjacent to the green and red dots). As I'm sure you know, both the lens shutter and the body must be cocked when you try to mount the lens.

Have you checked whether the depth of field lever is working properly on the 65mm lens. If not, it may be a sign that there is a problem with that part of the camera to lens connection.

Hope that some of this might help.

Does the stop
    Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 65mm lens is fine - DOF lever, speed, aperture all work without a problem. I was playing with the shutter, hence the different positions of the cocking pins. Funny thing is, I mounted it on an extension tube, and then onto the SD body. It's not usable, of course, but works perfectly...

Kumar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin