Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,388   Online: 820

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ask yourself why you want to start ith the 80mm lens. My choice would go to the 60mm CF or CB Distagon - this lens feels like a 35mm on 135 format - much more flexible for general photography. This way your second lens could become the great 100/3.5 or 120/4.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    - 501 CM body with waislevel. Chrome or black?
    - 80 F2.8 CFT with caps.
    - A12 Back. Please, explain me which one I should buy.
    this is like a basic setup, but as mentionned above, the shade should be moved up here.
    - 80 CF Shade.
    also, why chose a 501 over a 500? (anyone?)
    Extras:
    - PME51 viewfinder.
    - B60 UV-SKY Filter.
    - B60 yellow filter.
    - ADAPTER 67 on B60 brand filter ring adapter. (Just in case of …)
    filters are great, espexially yellow and orange, if you're shooting B&W.
    a polarizing filter i would add, and i doubt the UV-SKY is that interesting.

as it happens, i might have a body (500CM chrome), back (A12 chrome) and UV-filter for you.

regards,
    maarten.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    also, why chose a 501 over a 500? (anyone?)
    501 CM (note the M! - there isn't 'a' 501 camera, but there are two different cameras both having 501 in their name. So do take care you get the right one): better, non-vignetting mirror than the old 500 C/M.
    The shorter mirror of the 500 C/M only vignets with longer lenses (beginning with the 120 mm, less with the 150 mm, more with 180 mm and longer, reaching its maximum using a 250 mm lens), and only the viewfinder image (a small band on top, about 5 mm, a bit more towards the corners darkens), or/and when using extension tubes or bellows.

501 C (note absence of M): only a lot newer (i.e. no better mirror), and therefore more likely to be in better shape, than a 500 C/M.

filters are great, espexially yellow and orange, if you're shooting B&W.
    a polarizing filter i would add, and i doubt the UV-SKY is that interesting.
    It will do nothing, except protect the front lens. I have cleaned a lot of unwanted stuff from UV filters, and i was often glad it wasn't on the lens.

as it happens, i might have a body (500CM chrome), back (A12 chrome) and UV-filter for you.
    Ah! Daar komt de aap uit de mouw!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Hasselblad lenses are the first I have put a UV on. Shot at a beach a few months ago with it on and glad I did.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i know the C/M story (mine is C/M but with the C-label, 1972).
    so vignetting is only on the viewfinder?
    is it the 501 that has the "sliding" mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Ah! Daar komt de aap uit de mouw!
    not mine, a friend might sell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i know the C/M story (mine is C/M but with the C-label, 1972).
    so vignetting is only on the viewfinder?
    It is, yes.

The mirror is too short to catch all the light and send it to the focussing screen if the exit pupil of the lens is too far away. It is made a bit too short so that it doesn't hit the rear of the 80 mm lens.
    When you expose film, there is no issue.

is it the 501 that has the "sliding" mirror?
    I have said this above: there is no "the 501".
    There are two (!) different cameras that both have that number in their type name.

The "501 C" is a slightly simplified 500 C/M.

The "501 CM" (again: note the "M") has the sliding mirror. Big enough to catch all the light and send it to the focussing screen, sliding to the rear before it goes up to prevent hitting the rear of lenses.

not mine, a friend might sell.
    Ah! That "friend" thingy...

You know, i don't know anything about the stuff 'i' wrote above, but do have a friend who does, and who keeps using my identity to post all this nonsense. Over 4,000 posts worth already... Friends, 'ey?!

Only kidding, of course. I wouldn't mind if it were you who had that thing.
    Not kidding that i don't know anything about all that stuff though. At least, i don't think i am. Uhm...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 503 CX which has the smaller mirror, not GLM, and yes it cuts the top edge of the view finder image. It does not affect the image on the negative. I can see the vignetting on the 150 mm and the 250 mm lenses but I do not even notice it. It is not a be deal. Being able to change the view screen is much more importance IMNSHO.*

Steve

*IMNSHO = In my not so humble opinion
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    on my 500cm I use the 80mm f2.8 zeiss and hood all the time, it's a great combo. A12 back and I prefer the waist level finder personally but you'll find what you prefer. I use a simple light meter. (oh, and I've got chrome accents) LOL! I have several other lenses ( inherited my set from my grandfather) but haven't used any of those or the extra things...I'm simple I guess.
    | j e s s i c a d. |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin