Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,248   Online: 876

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sekonic 758D suppliers

I hope this question fits this forum. I am looking for a Sekonic 758D, as I think it could be the best meter for Zone System. When you look at ebay for a second hand one, you can find a big supply from companies from Honk Kong at very good prices. Additionally, they seem to be “New”. My question is: Do you trust them? Have you had some experience with these companies? Thanks for your comments,
    Henry.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No idea where you are but the 758D wasn't generally offered in all markets--and likely never on the N. American market thru Sekonic's dealer channel. It lacks the trigger module of the pricier DR and that's where the fun starts. Nothing wrong with reputable HK dealers aside from warranty coverage and frequency calibration for the Pocket Wizard trigger module: nearly all are CE frequencies--not FCC--which means your Pocket Wizards and trigger module must match to work. Some claim they can be adjusted but the meters come CE or FCC specified--a concern if you have studio work in your future.

I looked hard at these late last year and decided to go for the almost identical but earlier 558--usually available used in nice shape for around $300+. The even earlier 508 is cheaper and more common but lacks a readout inside the spotmeter--something the 558 and 608 have. Unless you need the extensive calibration options of the 758D+DR, these earlier meters might be just what you need. Their 1 degree spot meters are accurate and well-integrated into the overall design.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi CGW:
    You could be right, as I do not need more than a L558 meter. However, all of them are in ebay as second hand, and the L758 from Hong Kong are sold as “New”, and the price is very similar to the first one. The point is to be sure that these L758 from Hong Kong are really Sekonic and new.
    Thanks,
    Henry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Henry, I bought an L758D from a Honk Kong ebay dealer earlier in the year, and it's been fine - took it overseas with my Wista last month, and it was invaluable. Every exposure (that wasn't ruined for other operator-error reasons!!) was a perfect exposure. I did end up ordering a trigger module, but Australia uses the CE frequencies...

Marc!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Marc's (above), my L758D also came from eBay 3 years ago, new, saving me about AUD$360.00 more at retail.

Availability of Sekonic meters varies considerably with markets e.g. southern hemisphere vs northern hemisphere, and eBay should be checked respectively for what's available. Mine came to me (in Australia) from DigitalRev Hong Kong, which has a very big and long-established reputation. There are others in Hong Kong and trust can only be assessed by 'having a go', purchasing something or looking at feedback.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    Hi CGW:
    You could be right, as I do not need more than a L558 meter. However, all of them are in ebay as second hand, and the L758 from Hong Kong are sold as “New”, and the price is very similar to the first one. The point is to be sure that these L758 from Hong Kong are really Sekonic and new.
    Thanks,
    Henry.
    As mentioned below, there are perfectly reputable HK dealers. Your only real concern would be warranty coverage since these are gray market items that Sekonic USA, UK, etc probably wouldn't service.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you very much to all of you. It seems I can trust this suppliers.
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Alive View Post
    Hi CGW:
    Thanks,
    Henry.
    The L-558 is no longer manufactured and not listed by Sekonic on their website. One thing to beware of if you buy from H.K not only do you get no warranty, but the official importers in your country have a record on their computers of the serial numbers of all the meters they have imported, and probably won't service it even if you pay them.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If something goes wrong with your meter purchased from HK (under HK-local warranty), return it to HK for warranty by the store from which you bought it, it's that straightforward. It's not as if HK dealers are illicitly dealing with Sekonic et al. They are reputable, well run and well-sourced. Service if required is simple. In any case, scant few people would sniff out Sekonic's specific distributor for warranty or out of warranty service (as a professional I have had a gut-full of slow, incompetent distributors and dealers): it is a no-brainer to chase after the locals charged with looking after brands. Try this for out-of-warranty/ad hoc service: any pro-level camera dealer will recalibrate or repair a meter (among myriad other tasks) irrespective of who's name is on it or how parochial they are.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found www.robertwhite.co.uk the best priced.

I saved 50% by buying my Gossen from them, and about 60% on my Sekonic (compared to Australian retail prices)
    Last edited by andrewkirkby; 08-22-2010 at 05:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: edited link

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin