Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,636   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    All sirius-ness aside, I was pointing out that 6x6 is not really a 6x6 image, just like a 4x5 is not really 4"x5".

Steve
    so if i follow your logic my 24mm x 36mm is after all a 8 x 10? Great.

BTW I just finished scanning my Willie photograph ... not sure if allowed here as it's an 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Print to the grain is what I learned coming up. I usually shoot 100 B&W 120 film that gives me more latitude for larger print sizes.
    Thanks quitstik I'll keep that in mind. That is what I shot in the Argoflex. The next round will be taken in the Ciro-flex. It's so ____ hot here to get out, but I gotta if I want to enter the state fair.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    A good 35mm negative can easily be enlarged to fill 11x14 with borders.

I have seen a disc camera negative successfully enlarged to poster size (5 feet on the long dimension, IIRC)

And then of course there was the Kodak Colorama - an 18' x 60' (yes - feet, not inches) rear projection transparency that in 1986 for the first time originated from a 35mm negative:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/feat.../colorama.html

Look under "Technical Highlights".

Viewing distance is quite important .
    Thanks Matt I visited the link and enjoyed. My problem is white specs... so a 2 1/4 print would only work. As far as "Viewing distance is quite important"... it sure is. I had to get real close to Ansel's prints to see what all the hubbub was about. I'm thinking I should rename my recent street shot with the argo " Speed Hump Sign".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have printed 35mm C-41 prints at 24" x 36" and they look stunning.

I have printed 120 black & white from a circa1935 camera with a Zeiss lens on prints at 30" x 30" and they look stunning, too.

I am sure that your Argoflex will produce negative that can make large prints with the right enlarger optics.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's something I think about when I consider maximum print size:

Any format has a certain necessary viewing distance to get it all in - and then you just might want to take a few more steps back for it to be comfortable. It's kind of a strange practice to walk around looking at pictures from a distance of two inches. And even though some people do that (as it also was fairly common in the days of salon painting), you can just as well use a magnifying glass for a smaller print if all you care about is grain.

If it's a decent enough negative size and grain, which in my opinion is 400 on medium format, and 100 ISO on 35mm. I wouldn't worry about such things as maximum print size. Painters also often chose to "limit their resolution" in modern art - like the impressionists did compared to the classical style of 50 years earlier for effect, and if you really want a huge banner like print you can walk two inches up to and still see the details - maybe large format's a good idea - but remember that's for effect, and not necessarily a technical criteria.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You took a picture of your willie? Please don't post it here.
    Print size is subjective and there is no limit other than space. If you can't tell what the subject is because the grain is so large, it's art.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Focus No. 9 View Post
    the limit
    There are limits in optical projection printing very large magnification ratios that are related to diffraction. These limits can be minimized by internegatives. I don't know of any debate over those well established optical principles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin