Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,572   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, you just need to pay a visit and see a Bronica SQAi kit yourself. Then you can decide what it's worth to you and whether it can deliver what you want.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format

side to side comparision of Bronica sq-ai and Hasseblad 501CM

I own both of Bronica sq-ai (40ps, 50ps, 65ps, 80ps, 110ps, 150ps, 180ps, 250ps)and hasselblad 501 CM (40CF, 50CF, 80CFE, 150CF, 180CF). I did compared between 50mm, 80mm, 180mm and I hardly see different except color. Surprisely 80CFE has much worse flare compared to 80PS. I like sq-ai disign much better than hasselblad except back. sq-ai body has speed up to 16s, hass has up to 1s without multi exposure function, and shutter release position is not convenient.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Gary! You are right I do need to come by. I have some more wood for you too.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a SQB with 80PSB, 150PS and 150S (the 150s not at the same time), a prism, a couple of backs and other bits and bobs. I eventually sold it all and bought a Hasselblad (501CM with 80CB).

Looking at numerous 8x8 prints from Portra 400VC/400NC/800 from either camera I cannot say I see much difference in sharpness. However, I do see better contrast and colour from the Hasselblad but this could be down to the subject matter and how the lab printed the shots. This is very subjective though as the subject matter is obviously different, I never shot both in parallel. I am just making an overall observation over numerous prints that I do like the Hasselblad look better. But if I was stuck with the SQB I would certainly not be unhappy.

What is very different is the feel and build quality of the two systems. When I first got hold of the Hasselblad I was stunned by how solid it felt. The lines are very clean, nothing protruding and everything is very smooth and nice. It really does feel a solid chunk of camera with everything fitting perfectly flush with everything else. The Bronica, on the other hand, looked and felt like a number of bits put together with bits rattling (the WLF was a source of constant noise) and the switches feeling, well a bit loose. The winder somehow always seemed to pop-out or catch on things and I had to turn back and fold it. The body is also more blocky and less comfortable to hold for my hands (but this is very subjective).

Overall, the advantage of the Hasselblad, for me, is the body: it just feels nicer. And I like to think that the 2-3x price the Hasselblad cost me gives me better contrast and colour

It is a huge difference in money though. For the money a 501CM+80 kit goes in the UK you can get yourself a SQA, grip, WLF, prism, 50, 80, 150, a few backs and still have money left. And then, you have the mechanical vs electronic shutter issue. Which one is "better", is open to discussion. I cannot say anything about reliability for either system, I had no issues with either of them.

In any case, if I was stuck with a Bronica I would most certainly be happy with it and wouldn't constantly think "oh I wish I could afford a Hasselblad".
    Last edited by film_man; 08-23-2010 at 09:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin