Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,693   Online: 852

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bronica M/F gear???

As far as overall quality and performance where do the Bronica M/F cameras fit into to fray when compared to Mamiya, Hassleblad, etc.

I know this is a very general question but I know nothing about Bronica gear.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the overall the Bronica line is as good as any other M/F line. I have and have used nearly every camera they have made save the Bronica RF model without ever a failure or surprise and have also used the Hasselblad, Rollei, and Mamiya lines, also error free. Bronica is as good or better than all of then and somewhat cheaper into the bargain.
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of the 3???? models SQ, ETRS, GS-1 is one accepted as the "best"
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the SLR category, i rate them just below the Big Three (Rollei, Hasselblad and 6x7 Mamiyas).
    In a league with the 6x4.5 Mamiyas. Good, but not quite as good as the top three.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Q.G.;1050151]In the SLR category, i rate them just below the Big Three (Rollei, Hasselblad and 6x7 Mamiyas).
    In a league with the 6x4.5 Mamiyas.

Could you let us know your basis for this opinion? I am thinking of trading Bronica in on a Hasselblad, but . . . etc.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I didn't quite like the lenses, nor the build-quality and ergonomics.
    Not that the top three are such fine cameras in all respects, but all in all, better.
    My opinion.

I have never tried the GS-1, so can't say anything about it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the lenses on my GS-1 are the equal of my Zeiss lenses for my Hasselblad. They are different -- different bokeh, different rendering (esp in color). But when you take in to consideration the quality/price of a GS-1 setup, it really shines. For a 6x7, it's a fantastic camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used the GS-1 for nearly twenty-five years without problems and Zenzonon glass is second to none. Flash syncs at all shutter speeds. Bronica offers a very well designed, durable and user-friendly camera system.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had the same question, so I bought a Hasselblad 500C w/ 80mm Planar, a Bronica SQ with 80, 50, 65 and 150, and a Bronica S2 just for the hell of it. I shoot many black and white, and I can't say that one is better than the other -- speaking of the SQ vs the 500C. (I haven't used the S2 enough to judge.) I actually prefer the ergonomics of the SQ with the shutter speeds on a dial on the side and the f/stops on the lens. I don't like the SQ backs as well as I like the Hasselblad backs, but neither can I say I've had any failures. What is very clear is that I can buy a lot more Bronica gear for the same money as a less amount of Hassy gear. I'd be pleased to have either. Picture wise, perhaps/perhaps the Planar produces a photo that seems to show a bit more depth, but I couldn't prove it. My Rollei TLR is great too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Overall I prefer my GS-1 to my Rolleiflex SLX, but the two things I don't like about the Bronica is the f/3.5 max aperture on its standard lens (100mm) vs. f/2.8 on the Rollei 80mm Planar, and the longish MFD ( I have the 36mm extension tube). Optically, the lenses are about the same. I take the Bronica for maximum flexibility and the SLX for portability. Plus, the prices on the GS-1 are very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin