Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,823   Online: 1080

Shooter
    Medium Format

Where are the Kowa 66 lenses?

I have a Kowa Super 66 and 2 lenses and like it a lot (I also have Bronica and Rollei and have used a million Hasselblads over the years). Kowa made some interesting lenses, of special interest to me is the 35mm wideangle (not fisheye). There are almost never any lenses for sale on eBay, just lots of bodies with normal lenses. Why is this? Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of the 35mm lens, or know where one is? There is so very little information on these lenses other than what is in the Super 66 owners manual and one website that has mostly that same information. Kowa must have made quite a few lenses, what became of them? Shouldn't there be more (read some anyway) on the used market?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to have the 19mm they made for the 66, big chuck of glass.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The most common lenses for the super are the 55mm, 85mm, and the 150mm. I have every lens for the super except the 40mm and the fisheye. It took me a few years to find the 35mm and I had to fly to the state of Washington to pick it up (long story). If you don't mind paying a bit more, try Ross Yerkes in LA. He has most of the lens for the super - however I know he doesn't have the fisheye. If he did I would have bought it. Hope this helps - happy hunting!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you so much for that information! What do you think of the 35mm? Are you happy with it? Would you want to sell it if Yerkes doesn't have one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 40mm lens with case, front and rear caps, filter holder. It is a superb piece of glass! There is a very small mark on the rear element. No noticeable effect can be seen on the prints, digital conversions, etc. I bought the lens from Ross Yerkes. It may be for sale. Thanks, Bill

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.samuel.coleman View Post
    The most common lenses for the super are the 55mm, 85mm, and the 150mm. I have every lens for the super except the 40mm and the fisheye. It took me a few years to find the 35mm and I had to fly to the state of Washington to pick it up (long story). If you don't mind paying a bit more, try Ross Yerkes in LA. He has most of the lens for the super - however I know he doesn't have the fisheye. If he did I would have bought it. Hope this helps - happy hunting!!!
    Kowa also make a 250, which I have the, a marco 120?, and 2X converter, I have seem 250 on ebay. I also recall a 500 but I have never seen one for sale, might be mistaken about the 500.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    Kowa also make a 250, which I have the, a marco 120?, and 2X converter, I have seem 250 on ebay. I also recall a 500 but I have never seen one for sale, might be mistaken about the 500.
    I checked, Kowa did make a 500mm F8. In over 30 years I have never seen a 500.

Shooter
    35mm
    You will find a few 55mm, 150mm, and 250mm lenses for sale every year on eBay and sometimes on photo hobby forums. The rest are apparently exceedingly rare. So for practical purposes the Kowa system is really a three or four lens SLR system. Since the Kowa system has the shutter in the lenses, it will probably always be that way, although I wonder if it might not be possible to adapt, say a 500 series Hasselblad or some other shuttered lens to a Kowa body in some way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    These are a bit easier to find here in Japan, if there is something you are looking for in particular, let me know, I frequently haunt the used camera shops throughout the city.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin