Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,110   Online: 1039

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no preconceived notions about what format will produce what type of print. If the vision I had at the time of exposure dictates that I make a square print from a 4x5 negative or a rectangular print from a 6x6 negative then that's what I do. As long as the final print expresses what I desire. Good composition doesn't necessarily mean that every millimeter of film needs to be included in the final print either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    I print square with the paper in portrait mode so that even just in a portfolio it has white space around it and more space below than above.
    Me too. I think an unmounted square print generally looks better on a rectangular piece of paper with plenty of white space around the image. Always more space below than above.

And I agree with Wade's last post above. I mostly print square from the Blad, but certainly not always.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I want to thank all of you. There have been many comments, but seems to be clear that a 6x6 negative offers many possibilities, as it can be printed square, portrait or landscape with no problem. I do not think I will make a mistake buying a Hasselblad, even though I have been working mainly with 35 mm so far. Thanks again.
    Henry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    There's nothing more or less authentic about a print from a full-frame or with a crop, or more or less lazy. Useless dogma can be extremely limiting, and we shouldn't contribute to giving people some needless complex about cropping to make the image they want to make. Some people might work better with a "full frame only" monkey on their backs, but others might not, and that's FINE.
    I have been saying that for years! Just because the camera in your hand crops the world to a certain aspect ratio, that does not mean that your vision is limited to it. After all, lenses create an image circle; everything else -square, rectangle, or triangle- is cropping, either in the camera or afterwards!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Henry, you got it. The focus should be on the final print. Its the result that counts.
    Good luck
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Henry, you got it. The focus should be on the final print. Its the result that counts.
    Good luck
    I agree 100%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good luck
    Am I missing something here? I though the focus was on the negative, then on the paper. If I am wrong, please advise!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually looked at my 6x6 negative that they could be printed in the traditional rectangle either horizontal or vertical. More than enough negative to permit cropping. Same as with any negative in that they may not proportion out exactly to the print paper.
    Same here. I put little pencil marks on my TLR screen with horizontal and vertical cropping so I have a guide. Then I can frame any way I want it according tot he scene in front of me. The scene dictates rather than the camera.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    The scene dictates rather than the camera.
    And that's the thing: you should dictate, and not have anything else dictate you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Am I missing something here? I though the focus was on the negative, then on the paper. If I am wrong, please advise!

Steve
    What is hanging on the wall? Or sitting on your desk? Or carried in your wallet?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin