Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,592   Online: 1205

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to print 6x6 negatives

I am thinking to buy a Hasselblad camera, since I want to get better landscapes and portraits than those that I am getting now. However, I am not sure if it will be easy for me to work in a square format, as I have always worked with 35 mm format. I would like to continue printing in 12x16 papers. Could you comment how you compose and which format paper you use for printing photos? Is it difficult to get accustom to work with a square film? Is it a good idea to take 6x6 negatives and print in 12x16 paper?
    As always, thanks for your comments.
    Henry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like square format a lot and often print my hasselblad shots square. Paper is rectangular, so some gets wasted, but that doesn't bother me. Sometimes I crop to a rectangle if the photo is one that would look better that way, a decision I usually make when shooting the photo so I can compose in a way that the photo can be cropped without losing something important
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If (!) your mind is open to it, you'll soon learn to see, compose, and print square. And you will love it.
    If, however, you get stuck in a "how do i make this more like 35 mm?" frame of mind, it will be hell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like printing square! Of course, you should know that I'm a complete square. Makes keeping the car in one spot easier! Ha!

I don't have any waste. If it's 8by8 from an 8by10 then I have a test strip for the next print. Same with other sizes. I keep the trimmings to use as test strips. Square mats & frames look rather unique and it's something I offer that you can't find at many places.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The square formats quite easy to work with, it doesn't take long to get used to. I print on 12x16 paper, but trim first which is great for test strips,

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    I like printing square! Of course, you should know that I'm a complete square. Makes keeping the car in one spot easier! Ha!

I don't have any waste. If it's 8by8 from an 8by10 then I have a test strip for the next print. Same with other sizes. I keep the trimmings to use as test strips. Square mats & frames look rather unique and it's something I offer that you can't find at many places.
    Same here - 8x10 paper = 8x8 print plus a test strip! Works out really well.

You can also always crop down the negative if you want, or get a 6x4.5 back for the Hassy.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm interested in why you guys trim you 8x10 paper or other sizes to square for printing. I usually just print my squares (altho from a lowly Bronica) on the rectangle, since it will be matted to a square anyway if it gets that far.

Do those of you who trim paper to square display these prints in some way that shows the entire print, or is this just for holding in a box, all the same size, etc?

wondering. . .
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    I'm interested in why you guys trim you 8x10 paper or other sizes to square for printing. I usually just print my squares (altho from a lowly Bronica) on the rectangle, since it will be matted to a square anyway if it gets that far.

Do those of you who trim paper to square display these prints in some way that shows the entire print, or is this just for holding in a box, all the same size, etc?

wondering. . .
    I window mount my prints, it makes sense to trim first just to save cutting up whole sheets into test strips. All my images have 1¼" white borders because that's what museums & galleries prefer,

Ian

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I've only ever printed a handful of square negatives in anything other than square and I have hundreds of negatives that I've printed. I simply compose for the format I'm shooting. I switch between square and rectangle with no trouble. It's never been something I give much thought.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a 4-bladed easel and center the 6x6 image on the rectangular paper.
    OR...get a 6x9 camera if you like the proportions of the 35mm frame.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin