Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,734   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya M645 1000s power drive???

Have you had experience with the power drive for the M645? Do they work well?
    I am not concerned about the speed only the functionality and dependability.
    It seems that this attachment would make the camera handle more like a 35mm.
    Hold and fire with the right hand and focus with the left????
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was there a power drive for the 1000s ? I don't think so I've never seen one. I have the 100s and plan 645, I thought the powerwinder only came with the 645 Pro etc.

The Grip bracket makes the cameras much easier to use, and has a shutter release button on the handle.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, there was.

Long time ago for me, but i remember it as something that works.

Will it make a 1000s more like a 35 mm camera? No.
    It will make it like a big 1000s even bigger, yet not requiring you to wind the crank. You can indeed Hold and fire with the right hand and focus with the left.

But why would you want it to be more like 35 mm cameras?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They did exist. Here's a slightly busted one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mamiya-M645-Powe...efaultDomain_0

On the later Super/Pro/ ProTL, the drive grip makes a huge difference simply by making the things handholdable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well you live & learn

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know the exist. KEH has them. I have also seen some on ebay.
    I LOVE my M645! It has great glass and just enough features to make me happy but...to ME it is awkward to hold and use. I have a left hand grip but everything seems backwards. Personally I like the way a 35mm handles.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Left hand grips are evil things.
    They are sold with the promise that they make life easier, while they do just the opposite. You do not want to hold a heavy camera on the end of an arm, on the end of a lever, constantly opposing gravity by twisting your wrist. The only way to use such a grip and stil be able to actually hold your camera (as opposed to have it dangle unusably) is to use your other hand to support it.
    Absolutely terrible. They ought to hang the person who invented that such that he can save his life using a left hand grip...

MF cameras are best held in your hand.
    Best MF cameras are those that are designed around that, i.e. only need the other, free, hand to operate the important bits. Most do: one hand required to hold the thing and operates the release, the other free to do anything else. Some don't: they have the controls on both sides of the camera, requiring changing your grip to operate them all.

Your Mamiya is one of the better designed cameras.
    A motor grip will, in my opinion, not do much to improve holdability.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't how good those are in practical terms (weight, speed, battery life, handling, etc..) but I can only guess how loud they can get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are very loud, and quite large. If you look for one, make sure you get it with the connector that goes between the winder and the camera. They can be hard to find, and without the connector, the winder is useless. (as the eBay listing indicates).

By the way, it is rumoured that you can use one of these winders on the 645e as well. Mamiya never advertised that.

I don't know whether the thumb operated rapid winder for the 645e will work on the 1000s.

By the way, Q.G., don't you mean that the left-handed grips are "sinister"?

Personally I really, really like left-handed grips. I am, however, very left-handed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Left hand grips are evil things.
    They are sold with the promise that they make life easier, while they do just the opposite. You do not want to hold a heavy camera on the end of an arm, on the end of a lever, constantly opposing gravity by twisting your wrist. The only way to use such a grip and stil be able to actually hold your camera (as opposed to have it dangle unusably) is to use your other hand to support it.
    Absolutely terrible. They ought to hang the person who invented that such that he can save his life using a left hand grip...

MF cameras are best held in your hand.
    Best MF cameras are those that are designed around that, i.e. only need the other, free, hand to operate the important bits. Most do: one hand required to hold the thing and operates the release, the other free to do anything else. Some don't: they have the controls on both sides of the camera, requiring changing your grip to operate them all.

Your Mamiya is one of the better designed cameras.
    A motor grip will, in my opinion, not do much to improve holdability.
    Save it for photo.net...Motor grips on the later Mamiya 645s are enormously useful for model shoots, whether in the studio or outdoors. The ergonomics of these cameras shot handheld suck without a motor grip. Motor drives for most MF cameras are noisy--it's a baked-in problem. My MD-12 and MD-4 Nikon drives make nearly as much racket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin