Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,728   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I'd appreciate some advice on C330F kit

Hello all,

I'm afraid GAS attacks again. For years I've considered adding one MF to the herd (quite thin at the moment, one camera per format only). My dilemma is between an RB67 kit or a C330/C220 one.

A gentleman is selling a kit made of C330F body, three lenses (80/2.8 "blue dot", 65/3.5 (looks black) and 135/4.5 chrome), two focusing screens, paramender 2, and a Manfrotto tripod (190B). He's asking €450 for this, which seems fair for me, if the set works as fine as it looks.

I've recently discovered the square format with the Rolleiflex, and am happy with it so I'm not sure I need a bigger neg. Also of consideration for me is that the whole kit might weight as much as an RB67 body with one lens, which makes it quite portable in my book.

I'd be happy to hear your opinions, particularly about the pricing.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a great kit. Personally, I'd use the TLR over the RB any day, especially out of the studio. The C330, while not as compact as a fixed-lens TLR, carries pretty nicely.

I'd think 450 euro is a bit much to ask for it, but if it's all in truly mint condition, maybe it's worth it. I'd scope out prices on Ebay or even a kit shipped from KEH in the US and see how they compare. And consider the value of 1) being able to inspect the gear your local guy is selling before you buy it and 2) getting everything you'll need in one spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    I'd think 450 euro is a bit much to ask for it, but if it's all in truly mint condition, maybe it's worth it. I'd scope out prices on Ebay or even a kit shipped from KEH in the US and see how they compare. And consider the value of 1) being able to inspect the gear your local guy is selling before you buy it and 2) getting everything you'll need in one spot.
    I had a look at KEH yesterday, and I think I'd pay much more for a similar kit from them. As you say, having the chance to inspect it is worth a significant percentage in my book.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heck of a great camera. Never owned an RB but in general, the TLR should be more reliable, portable, and the lens are tops. Does seem a trifal high but it may be the exchange rate. I would put the vale on the body, 3 lens, a maybe the tripod. The other items, while nice to have, maybe not something you would need or buy.

Good Luck
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having had an earlier Mamiya C33 and a C3 plus lenses until they were stolen I'd go for it, they are great cameras to use with superb lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By US standards, the price (US$565) might be a bit high. But supply and demand is somewhat local, so hard to give an absolute opinion.

The paramender is a specialized tool, so if you don't plan to do macro work, you can always sell it.

I think the 190B is the same as the Bogen 3001 (which I have). If so, it's a bit light for the C330 but great for travel.

Parts for the older chrome lenses are getting tougher to find, so factor that in.

I agree that being able to physically evaluate the equipment is worth a premium.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Laurent,

My first MF was and is a C3, initially with 80mm lenses only, later added a 65mm and a 180mm. And a paramender.

It's a very nice camera. The C330 should even be better (more recent, some added features).

As for the price: it sounds reasonable for what you get, including 3 (or should I say 6?) lenses, paramender, tripod.

If you do indeed have the chance to examine it before buying, especially check the shutters of the lenses at slower speeds. My oldest, chrome, 80mm has become "a bit" slow over the years (should really get it CLA'd). I always forget which setting is the correct one, but on either X or M the shutter should work fine.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That doesn't sound like too bad a deal for the C330. They are great cameras with very good lenses. However, there is a BIG difference between the square and 6x7 formats when it comes to printing - especially if you plan to print large. With the square, you are cropping out a very large portion of the negative if you want it to fit the standard 11x14, 16x20, or 20x24 formats. With the 6x7 format, cropping is minimal, you get to use most of the negative, and you are subjecting the negative to a lower power of magnification. Because of tht, you can expect a higher degree of image quality from the larger negative. Now if you plan to print up to 11x14 as your maximum print size, you won't really be able to see the difference; but f you print larger than that, the differences will start to become apparent.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You would be happy with either the C330 or the RB67. I don't know about the C330 but with the RB67 you can change the backs for different films.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks again for your advises.

I did the maths on KEH, and reached $510 (I considered $80 per lens, as there weren't the same ones) without the tripod.

I've been looking at tripods as mine are a bit cumbersome, so the 190 might be a good deal (I even consider shortening it a little to make it lighter !), and my 055 and Berlebach are enough for the other cameras.

The paramender is a "must have" for me, as I do lots of close-ups in MF, I'm not so sure about the screens.

Last, I'm used to print 6x6 as a square and, should I buy ths 330, I plan to do the same, so the aspect ratio is ok for me.

I'll keep you informed when I have made my decision and inspected the kit.

Cheers
    Laurent
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin