Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,509   Online: 974

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric Trexell View Post
    I hope that I'm not taken as a smart ***, but why would you want to use 35mm in a camera designed for 120? Isn't that like asking how do I get a Cadillac to ride like a Chevy? The cost of developing one over the other is minimal and you get a better picture from MF, so why even try to get a 35mm cartridge in there? If you want to shoot 35mm, just get a 35mm camera. They are selling on ebay really cheap now days.
    It is a way to take panorama photographs without buying an XPAN.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Only if you forget that you create that same panaroma photo using 120 film, with extras.

I'm with Ric: the only possible reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera is when the emulsion you need is only available in 35 mm format, and the only camera you have or can get is an MF camera.
    That's why 35 mm backs and adapters for MF cameras are so terribly hard to find: there are too many people who know it doesn't make sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Only if you forget that you create that same panaroma photo using 120 film, with extras.

I'm with Ric: the only possible reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera is when the emulsion you need is only available in 35 mm format, and the only camera you have or can get is an MF camera.
    That's why 35 mm backs and adapters for MF cameras are so terribly hard to find: there are too many people who know it doesn't make sense.
    Which is why I have not been chasing after one ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yet you think that:

?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was providing information to the earlier poster as to what the motivation is. It is neither an endorsement nor a rejection of the motivating factor.

If you keep splitting hairs, you will end up as bald as a honeydew melon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was providing information to the earlier poster as to what the motivation is. It is neither an endorsement nor a rejection of the motivating factor.
    Whose motivation would that be?

So it's just a reason to use 35 mm film in an MF camera you thought up, isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Whose motivation would that be?

So it's just a reason to use 35 mm film in an MF camera you thought up, isn't it?
    I did not think it up. It was a Hasselblad product at one time. Are you getting hair implants now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did not think it up. It was a Hasselblad product at one time. Are you getting hair implants now?
    And because they sold a back, you thought it would be the answer to the question why on earth one would want to use 35 mm film in an MF camera.
    I see...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are 35mm backs available for Mamiya 645 models that take interchangeable backs.

As I see it, the reasons for using them include:

1) some provide options for panoramic negatives or slides - good if you have access to more development options with 35mm film;
    2) some emulsions are only available in 35mm, and if you want to project 35mm slides ...
    3) useful if you want to use just one lens and shutter/need interchangeable backs and multiple formats (it's a lot easier to shoot 35mm in a MF camera than MF in a 35mm camera);
    4) some people have a pile of 35mm film they would like to use up;
    5) it is one of the easiest ways to find a 35mm camera that lets you use leaf shutters for fill flash work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    There are 35mm backs available for Mamiya 645 models that take interchangeable backs.

As I see it, the reasons for using them include:

1) some provide options for panoramic negatives or slides - good if you have access to more development options with 35mm film;
    There's a thing, yes.

2) some emulsions are only available in 35mm,
    Yes.

and if you want to project 35mm slides ...
    You can cut film to size, you know. Not just paper.

3) useful if you want to use just one lens and shutter/need interchangeable backs and multiple formats (it's a lot easier to shoot 35mm in a MF camera than MF in a 35mm camera);
    Easier still: shoot MF film in an MF camera.

4) some people have a pile of 35mm film they would like to use up;
    Don't see how that would be a reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera.
    To paraphrase something i read recently: it's easier to shoot 35 mm film in a 35 mm camera.

5) it is one of the easiest ways to find a 35mm camera that lets you use leaf shutters for fill flash work.
    How does that work?
    But anyway that might be, why run 35 mm film through that camera?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin