Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,084   Posts: 1,635,696   Online: 1139

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yet you think that:

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It is a way to take panorama photographs without buying an XPAN.
    ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was providing information to the earlier poster as to what the motivation is. It is neither an endorsement nor a rejection of the motivating factor.
    Whose motivation would that be?

So it's just a reason to use 35 mm film in an MF camera you thought up, isn't it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did not think it up. It was a Hasselblad product at one time. Are you getting hair implants now?
    And because they sold a back, you thought it would be the answer to the question why on earth one would want to use 35 mm film in an MF camera.
    I see...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are 35mm backs available for Mamiya 645 models that take interchangeable backs.

As I see it, the reasons for using them include:

1) some provide options for panoramic negatives or slides - good if you have access to more development options with 35mm film;
    2) some emulsions are only available in 35mm, and if you want to project 35mm slides ...
    3) useful if you want to use just one lens and shutter/need interchangeable backs and multiple formats (it's a lot easier to shoot 35mm in a MF camera than MF in a 35mm camera);
    4) some people have a pile of 35mm film they would like to use up;
    5) it is one of the easiest ways to find a 35mm camera that lets you use leaf shutters for fill flash work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    There are 35mm backs available for Mamiya 645 models that take interchangeable backs.

As I see it, the reasons for using them include:

1) some provide options for panoramic negatives or slides - good if you have access to more development options with 35mm film;
    There's a thing, yes.

2) some emulsions are only available in 35mm,
    Yes.

and if you want to project 35mm slides ...
    You can cut film to size, you know. Not just paper.

3) useful if you want to use just one lens and shutter/need interchangeable backs and multiple formats (it's a lot easier to shoot 35mm in a MF camera than MF in a 35mm camera);
    Easier still: shoot MF film in an MF camera.

4) some people have a pile of 35mm film they would like to use up;
    Don't see how that would be a reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera.
    To paraphrase something i read recently: it's easier to shoot 35 mm film in a 35 mm camera.

5) it is one of the easiest ways to find a 35mm camera that lets you use leaf shutters for fill flash work.
    How does that work?
    But anyway that might be, why run 35 mm film through that camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrissPhotog View Post
    As the title states, I'm trying to find out what make/model medium format cameras also accept 35mm film. I know Holgas can be modified to shoot 35, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know in the past, a friend had a 120 camera that he was able to shoot 35mm in no problem; unfortunately we've lost touch so I can't ask him what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a 35mm kit for the Mamiya 7 as well, and possibly the 6 too.

There are also people who run 35mm through RBs and RZs with homemade adapters.

If you work the monetary numbers a bit, however, you see that you are just as well off cropping down a 120 or 220 frame than using a 35mm adapter in a medium format camera...except you are even better off practically, because you are not limited to the width of 35mm film (i.e. you get more compositional options; and perhaps an even more exciting way to look at it is that you get what amounts to a good deal of view-camera-esque vertical shift either way of the horizontal center line of the medium format film frame, which also gives you a good deal of control over the shapes of things in your composition).

Now, if you really want to shoot pretty extreme panoramic format very often, at exactly the same height and width every time, and there is an emulsion that you want to use that is available in 35mm that is not available in medium format, I would say to have at it without feeling too silly.

If composing with a panoramic frame in camera helps you, you can simply make viewfinder masks. The great thing about shooting onto film that covers the entire film gate is that you can make a set of masks for your ground glass, each with a different aspect ratio.

The elegant solution of the person who owned my Mamiya C33 before me, who wished to visualize the cropping required to fit the square pix onto a vertical piece of 8x10 paper? Use a fine-tipped Sharpie and a ruler to draw lines on the ground glass. It doesn't get in my way, and I actually use the lines from time to time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me the main reason to do it would be emulsions - stuff like EIR, HIE, and Kodachrome - all available to some degree in 35mm but not available in 120.

The Mamiya 7 adapter is well made and doesn't waste any film, really - can use the whole roll as far as I can tell.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a reason why I've shot 35mm in a MF camera in the past, but I'z afraid to say for not to keep the fight going. Why does this question always degrade to "why" and "is it worth it" when the OP just wants to know if it can be done and how?

I've used a Rolleikin to (1) use emulsions not available in 120, (2) get faster synch speed than my 35mm camera offers, and (3) have a camera which is easier to shoot portraits in vertical format.

It was worth it to me. If you don't agree, please don't tell me... my feelings will get hurt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Why does this question always degrade to "why" and "is it worth it" ...
    Because that's the only level on which some people can think.

When I did it, I wanted to do panoramas on HIE, and also wanted sprockets connoting motion picture film and passage of time.... without resorting to photoshop trickery. The absolute last thing on my mind was whether it made sense to somebody else on some forum.

Do things other people don't do! Experiment! Live dangerously... live creatively!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another reason to do it, it makes your camera lens longer. On something like a 635, which has the mask for 35mm film, you essentially get an 80mm lens on the 35mm format, which would make a nice portrait setup, without wasting the rest of the 6x6 image.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin