Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,693   Posts: 1,669,486   Online: 1082

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going for the image taking up the entire film area including the sprocket holes and margin, then shoot 35mm in a MF camera. Doesn't that new toy FLY camera(or whatever its called) do that.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    If you are going for the image taking up the entire film area including the sprocket holes and margin, then shoot 35mm in a MF camera. Doesn't that new toy FLY camera(or whatever its called) do that.
    If you want that, you have to resort to DIY solutions. (Or get a Holga, or other toy camera).

The solutions offered by camera makers don't expose the entire width of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have considered using 35mm in MF cameras for another reason -- my 35mm scanner is much better than my MF scanner. But that's a whole other forbidden topic.

Dave
    (still looking for a 35W back for my Bronica ETRSi)
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It is a way to take panorama photographs without buying an XPAN.

Steve
    I've never really quite understood the thinking behind the "special format" cameras and backs. Isn't there a 60x120 image hiding inside every 4x5 negative? I've got several shots that I've cropped to 1x2 and even 1x3 out of sheet film and roll film.

Granted, some others have pointed out that some emulsions are available only in 135, and that's a clear issue.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with those that say I should not have asked my question about why a person would use a 35mm film in a MF camera. I apologize to the OP. I should have started a seperate thread. I learned something though, and I appreciate the answers. That said, let us get this thread back to the original question. Thank you for your understanding. Ric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a bug to shoot 35mm because i see one friend here and during a workshop i took 3 months ago that they shoot in 35mm, but i have only MF, and one friend lend me his old film camera Canon EOS 5 to use it but i didn't use it yet, so i feel if i should try to shoot with 35mm or not? If i really want to shoot with 35mm then i can buy Canon film or Leica or any 35mm film camera which are cheaper than most of my MF cameras anyway, but now i think i should buy a camera because i bought a MF camera that can shoot for 35mm with adapter kit, Mamiya 7II, now just i have to buy that adapter and i never look back to 35mm cameras, if so i am sure i can get gazillion of options as 35mm cameras.
    There are some studio stores here that sell 35mm cameras because they sell 135mm film yet, i love you people because you always think beyond of what someone should think, i was thinking about how to use 35mm in MF but i never asked and never search for it, so thank you to OP to ask the question instead of me, and also thanks to all people who ask questions that i may ask in the future.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I've never really quite understood the thinking behind the "special format" cameras and backs. Isn't there a 60x120 image hiding inside every 4x5 negative? I've got several shots that I've cropped to 1x2 and even 1x3 out of sheet film and roll film.

Granted, some others have pointed out that some emulsions are available only in 135, and that's a clear issue.
    That's been my approach, too. I've produced panoramas with my Mamiya 7 by cropping 120 film. It's easier, and cheaper, than fiddling with the 35mm panorama adapter that Mamiya sells. But, hey, the adapter is supposed to work well - if you don't mind dropping $140 to avoid cropping, to access additional emulsions, and/or to print sprocket holes.

You could buy a 4x5 or baby Crown Graphic camera and as many roll film adapters in different aspect ratios as you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did not peculiarly look for it, but once I got the opportunity to buy cheap a Rolleikin Kit to complement my Rolleiflex T, and find it useful for portraits, because 1/ it has in this format a longer than normal focal 2/ the pictures are naturally portrait oriented and 3/ using the rolleiflex waist level finder gives you a slightly lower point of view than through a normal slr or rf viewfinder, which I personnaly find better for portraits (moreover, you may have your model sitting and thus more relaxed).

Paul
    Last edited by polka; 09-01-2010 at 06:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raoulen...7615531138884/

There are some funky aspects to 35mm film in a MF camera. You get the full width of the film, so the sprocket holes are part of the shot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raoulen...7615531138884/

There are some funky aspects to 35mm film in a MF camera. You get the full width of the film, so the sprocket holes are part of the shot.
    But remember: only when you convert something to take 35 mm film.
    The backs manufacturers provide to use 35 mm behind their cameras usually do not include the sprockets in the exposure.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin