Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,978   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrissPhotog View Post
    As the title states, I'm trying to find out what make/model medium format cameras also accept 35mm film. I know Holgas can be modified to shoot 35, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know in the past, a friend had a 120 camera that he was able to shoot 35mm in no problem; unfortunately we've lost touch so I can't ask him what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a 35mm kit for the Mamiya 7 as well, and possibly the 6 too.

There are also people who run 35mm through RBs and RZs with homemade adapters.

If you work the monetary numbers a bit, however, you see that you are just as well off cropping down a 120 or 220 frame than using a 35mm adapter in a medium format camera...except you are even better off practically, because you are not limited to the width of 35mm film (i.e. you get more compositional options; and perhaps an even more exciting way to look at it is that you get what amounts to a good deal of view-camera-esque vertical shift either way of the horizontal center line of the medium format film frame, which also gives you a good deal of control over the shapes of things in your composition).

Now, if you really want to shoot pretty extreme panoramic format very often, at exactly the same height and width every time, and there is an emulsion that you want to use that is available in 35mm that is not available in medium format, I would say to have at it without feeling too silly.

If composing with a panoramic frame in camera helps you, you can simply make viewfinder masks. The great thing about shooting onto film that covers the entire film gate is that you can make a set of masks for your ground glass, each with a different aspect ratio.

The elegant solution of the person who owned my Mamiya C33 before me, who wished to visualize the cropping required to fit the square pix onto a vertical piece of 8x10 paper? Use a fine-tipped Sharpie and a ruler to draw lines on the ground glass. It doesn't get in my way, and I actually use the lines from time to time.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me the main reason to do it would be emulsions - stuff like EIR, HIE, and Kodachrome - all available to some degree in 35mm but not available in 120.

The Mamiya 7 adapter is well made and doesn't waste any film, really - can use the whole roll as far as I can tell.

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a reason why I've shot 35mm in a MF camera in the past, but I'z afraid to say for not to keep the fight going. Why does this question always degrade to "why" and "is it worth it" when the OP just wants to know if it can be done and how?

I've used a Rolleikin to (1) use emulsions not available in 120, (2) get faster synch speed than my 35mm camera offers, and (3) have a camera which is easier to shoot portraits in vertical format.

It was worth it to me. If you don't agree, please don't tell me... my feelings will get hurt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Why does this question always degrade to "why" and "is it worth it" ...
    Because that's the only level on which some people can think.

When I did it, I wanted to do panoramas on HIE, and also wanted sprockets connoting motion picture film and passage of time.... without resorting to photoshop trickery. The absolute last thing on my mind was whether it made sense to somebody else on some forum.

Do things other people don't do! Experiment! Live dangerously... live creatively!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another reason to do it, it makes your camera lens longer. On something like a 635, which has the mask for 35mm film, you essentially get an 80mm lens on the 35mm format, which would make a nice portrait setup, without wasting the rest of the 6x6 image.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going for the image taking up the entire film area including the sprocket holes and margin, then shoot 35mm in a MF camera. Doesn't that new toy FLY camera(or whatever its called) do that.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    If you are going for the image taking up the entire film area including the sprocket holes and margin, then shoot 35mm in a MF camera. Doesn't that new toy FLY camera(or whatever its called) do that.
    If you want that, you have to resort to DIY solutions. (Or get a Holga, or other toy camera).

The solutions offered by camera makers don't expose the entire width of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have considered using 35mm in MF cameras for another reason -- my 35mm scanner is much better than my MF scanner. But that's a whole other forbidden topic.

Dave
    (still looking for a 35W back for my Bronica ETRSi)
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It is a way to take panorama photographs without buying an XPAN.

Steve
    I've never really quite understood the thinking behind the "special format" cameras and backs. Isn't there a 60x120 image hiding inside every 4x5 negative? I've got several shots that I've cropped to 1x2 and even 1x3 out of sheet film and roll film.

Granted, some others have pointed out that some emulsions are available only in 135, and that's a clear issue.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I've never really quite understood the thinking behind the "special format" cameras and backs. Isn't there a 60x120 image hiding inside every 4x5 negative? I've got several shots that I've cropped to 1x2 and even 1x3 out of sheet film and roll film.

Granted, some others have pointed out that some emulsions are available only in 135, and that's a clear issue.
    When I found out that there was a Hasselblad back that could take 135, I was interested. When I saw how are it was to get one and the cost, I lost interest. If I want a panorama photograph I will crop down a 6x6 or 4x5 or buy a Wide-O-Lux.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin