Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,814   Online: 1097

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO, none of the medium format autofocus options are up to the standards of small format AF, and I even find the latter to have limited use and to require some fiddling of its own to make it work best. I am not sure why AF would be a deal maker, unless it really was at least as good as the AF on a small format SLR such as the EOS 1V, 3, etc.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2F/2F-

I concur. I would consider size weight, handling, cost, etc. to be more important. I certainly would not lug around an RB/RZ to take pictures on 35mm! Not when a Pentax, Mamiya or Bronica SLR, or a medium format rangefinder or folder could do the same job.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can probably put 35mm through many of the 127-film cameras e.g. the yashica 44. That will give you exposure through the sprockets without too much weight.

The nice thing about using an rb is the long panos that you generate. I did this once and only once though, you can see the result here. Yeah it was a waste of film but it amused me for hours.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    True that, regarding panos. The RB/RZ, Bronica GS-1, Pentax 6X7, etc., will give a substantially wider pano. For example, the Bronica SQ series gives IIRC, 55mm wide images, while the GS-1 gives 69mm wide images.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want sprocketed panos without all the added gear weight, perhaps an xpan could be modified to expose the sprockets. I am not endorsing this idea, just thinking aloud.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My father used a Rolleiflex for years to take the family 35mm slides (late 50's to the early 70's -- many camping trips, family events, occasional trips to Disneyland, etc)). It was what he had (a present from his sister, bought in a PX in Spain), and he had no interest in 6x6 negs or transparencies. The slides are great -- the portion of the lens' image circle that is used is the sharpest center section. No fall off, and all that. Most of the slides are verticals -- must of been a hassle trying to take horizontal images!

We began backpacking and to save weight, so he up-graded to an Kodak Instamatic 804 (glass lens, focusing and all! The top of the line Instamatic!)

So eventually,
    the Rollei came to me,
    and the rest
    is history....

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin