Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,199   Online: 823

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Medium Format Cameras That Are Compatible With 35mm Film

As the title states, I'm trying to find out what make/model medium format cameras also accept 35mm film. I know Holgas can be modified to shoot 35, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know in the past, a friend had a 120 camera that he was able to shoot 35mm in no problem; unfortunately we've lost touch so I can't ask him what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Almost all of my MF cameras are compatible with 35mm film. You just take a 120 spool, split it in half and fashion it to hold the 35mm canister, and use another 120 spool for uptake. It's a very simple operation requiring no mods to the camera. The only thing is to load or unload the film in the dark (depending on whether you want to spool into our out of the 35mm canister).
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    P.S. with a bit of whittling, here's what you make...

...and here's what you get:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=16571
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bronica has 2 35mm backs for the ETRSi. One shoots a standard 35mm frame size, the other is a panorama format, 24x54mm.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you don't like the idea of customizing your used film spool to take 35mm film and also don't like the idea of wasting half of the film if you use 120 backs, there are some cameras that can take 35mm films with proper backs and/or adapter.
    I think all bronicas except RFs have 135 backs, mamiya 7II can also take 135, Yashica 635 can take Leica format films and perhaps many more, I forgot which are those.

If you use the DIY method presented few posts above here's some details with 'collateral' damage when 35mm film is used in 120 back in camera that takes 6x6 images:
    the leader takes about 40cm, then you have 12x5,6+frame spacing and then what's left is approx. 39cm of wasted film. so that is like 80cm of wasted film + 72cm (12x[approx]6cm) of exposed material. some numbers may vary but that's approximately what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS View Post
    If you don't like the idea of customizing your used film spool to take 35mm film and also don't like the idea of wasting half of the film if you use 120 backs, there are some cameras that can take 35mm films with proper backs and/or adapter.
    I think all bronicas except RFs have 135 backs, mamiya 7II can also take 135, Yashica 635 can take Leica format films and perhaps many more, I forgot which are those.

If you use the DIY method presented few posts above here's some details with 'collateral' damage when 35mm film is used in 120 back in camera that takes 6x6 images:
    the leader takes about 40cm, then you have 12x5,6+frame spacing and then what's left is approx. 39cm of wasted film. so that is like 80cm of wasted film + 72cm (12x[approx]6cm) of exposed material. some numbers may vary but that's approximately what you get.
    Thank you! I had thought about the DIY method before but figured I would get results as such. I'll check out the Bronicas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try to hunt down a Yashica 635, which is basically a Yashica D with an adapter kit for 35mm film. You must make sure the complete adapter kit is included or it wont work. You can do the self made adapter as previously shown, but it wont work with MF cameras with the little red window in the back, for obvious reasons.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a Hasselblad back that will take 35mm film. It is rare, hard to find, and pricey.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Rolleikin adapter for Rolleis.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format

Why would you want to?

I hope that I'm not taken as a smart ***, but why would you want to use 35mm in a camera designed for 120? Isn't that like asking how do I get a Cadillac to ride like a Chevy? The cost of developing one over the other is minimal and you get a better picture from MF, so why even try to get a 35mm cartridge in there? If you want to shoot 35mm, just get a 35mm camera. They are selling on ebay really cheap now days.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin