Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,155   Online: 880

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Escaped Bakersfield, CA. Now in Indianapolis.
    Shooter
    Medium Format

I'm sad, but I know what might cheer me up...

I lost out on an auction for a Koni Omega Rapid. This made me very sad. I want one so bad!

But I think to cheer myself up, I'll try to go get some film tomorrow. Half a buck a roll for 135 and 120. I'll talk to the guy about what he might want for the 4x5 film he's got in his freezer too. I know there are people who'd want it.

Anyways, feel free to post those missed opportunities and sad stories about cameras or gear you lost or never got.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A few years ago, my grandpa was giving away all his cameras to the family. We each got to pick one. At that time, I'd never heard of rangefinders before. So I missed out an an M6, 35 2.0, 50 1.4 and 90 2.8 and got an FM instead.
    Idiot that I was not to claim it before someone else did.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I as offered an 11x14 for $1000 -- but I could not talk my wife (now ex) into it.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still sad (and very mad at myself) for throwing away (into the bin, gone forever) a Leica-nipple. I didn't know what it was (except that it was a thread adapter for a cable release), so I thought to myself - I'll NEVER need this thing. a few months later i bought a YashicaMat...damnit Ricus!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    A number of years ago I met an ex Picture Post photographer who invited me to his home. He showed me a lot of his work and some of his vast collection of equipment. He loaned me a Speed Graphic with about 8 lenses including some lovely Schneider wide-angles, dark slides etc which I took away and used for a couple of months. Feeling bad about keeping the camera for so long, I returned it to him. He said I should keep the camera as he no-longer used it. I didn't feel right about this but he said to come back at any time and take it away. A few months later he died and I always regretted not taking up his offer.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bushpig, Don't feel bad about the lost Koni. While yeah, they shoot nice 6x7's there were never all that many made. The ones out there have likely had heavy pro use shooting a million rolls on weddings and such. Lot's of worn out gears and few available parts.

Hasselblad on the other hand had the rep so there are thousands of them to be had from dentists who have gone over to digital.

Of course if this was a primo condition camera from a lawyer feel free to cut your throat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This wasn't so bad, but a guy gave me a Rolleicord that needed a little work. I had just started a little camera repair business after taking a course in Denver. I cleaned the shutter and replaced the covering and took one roll of film with it. It needed some repair on the WLF and the latch for the back but I had no idea where to get parts. I put it up of the shelf and left it for about 5 years. Then I clicked the shutter one day and found it was slow so I decided I was not going to put any more time in it and literally tossed it in the garbage. A few years later the internet came out and places like ebay had people selling cameras for parts. I could have fixed it up or sold it for parts. That has always bugged me that I tossed that camera. Oh well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I as offered an 11x14 for $1000 -- but I could not talk my wife (now ex) into it.
    Let that be a lesson to you. Cameras are forever, women not so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    That is why she is an ex. I had a similar thing and now life is much better.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I first started working, the guys at work had arranged a photo workshop in Yosemite with Ansel Adams for a week. I had just bought a lot of 35mm equipment and I knew that the Zone System was really only for sheet film, so I passed up the opportunity.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin