Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,335   Online: 1210

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was out last week shooting vintage customs and street rods at an early evening cruise nite with my Mamiya RB 67. I'm taking a meter reading when some goof with a Nikon D300s leads with the hyper-annoying "Are you still shooting film?" "Sure," sez I, "It's like getting a new sensor for every shot!"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The words that hurt me the most... "Bill... I thought you stood for something." My friend Reed as he caught me in the mountains with a digital camera around my neck. I felt like Larry Groce's Junkfood Junkie. In a bit of karmic retaliation I left the custom light balance set to something like tungsten ruining the shots that day. He'd never seen me without a real camera with a story behind it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The reasoning behind why people say the things they do when encountering a film camera is quite interesting. Most people seem to say something that references film being used by professional, indicating that they do not use film and therefore are not professional. I cannot say that anyone with a true passion for photography would really accept Digital. What truly passionate painters do you know that accept photoshop or some other programs substitute for true oil (or acrylic or watercolor) on canvas?. All digital has done is overstep the process that makes it a fine art, makes it of value. I believe those point and shooters using anything from a Nikon L22 up to a D3x or whatever they make now, do not have a true passion. I have noticed that there is some sort of desire in all digital photographers when encountering film to feel superior. Ill bet that digital photographers who have used film fully understand what they have given up what they really value in substitute for some other value, but it is surely not photography anymore. There is a value that cannot be enhanced by technology in a process, a process that cannot be bypassed. "You still shoot film"? Yes because I still value photography, I am not simply trying to get it done as quick and easy as possible. My only explanation for digital is that it is used by those who wish to please others. Their happiness comes not from their own achievement but from the approval of others. It is not that they created their images themselves, to the full extent of individual independent creation on a level where input = output, no more, no less, it is that the image is pleasing to others. I believe that simply the digital photographer values the viewer. While the film photographer values photography as a creative, scientific, and overall artistic medium.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i'm cool with people asking stuff and making comments
    i dont really care
    film is old
    some of the cameras look cool compared to the plastic ones they know now

but what im really sick of
    the people receiving these comments rushing online to tell us that they too have experienced it

apug is about photography
    not fkn film
    this site -the areas I check- is becoming more and more a film clubcult

interestingly ill be seen as an ahole while most others participating in "the" thread think of these comments as coming from aholes or they behave like aholes in responding to them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    interestingly ill be seen as an ahole while most others participating in "the" thread think of these comments as coming from aholes or they behave like aholes in responding to them
    Umm... no cosmic significance to this thread. In fact, no "aholes" to be found on either side of the many "REAL camera" stories. Just a lighthearted weekend thread to kill a bit of time with.

I found the stories lightly amusing, so I contributed one for everyone else's light amusement.

Guess I'm just an elitist "film clubcult" loser for doing that.

Thanks for letting me know.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually get the "Are you a professional / getting paid to do this? / event photographer?" The event photographer line has gotten me around cover charges in night clubs

Especially if I'm carrying 3 SLR's, usually I'll bring my DSLR and wear it around my neck but keep the good stuff in the bag, once in a while I'll wear all three. Two 35's one for black and white and one for color, lately it's been Minolta Maxxum 4/ Kodak Tmax 3200 and Nikkormat FTN/ Kodachrome KR64

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i just love people coming up to me once seeing my OM2n

"Does it work?"

oh of course not! its a heavy necklace!!

On other occasions its all postive, people asking questions about the camera, kind of like a nostalgic moment for them, funny since im 17, but they really are surprised that the film culture they grew up in is still kicking harder than ever. I especially love walking through a crowd of japanese tourists with the latest in thousand dollar dSLR's with my Yashica GSN and just getting stares.

I really dont know how to respond to the questions of "why don't you use digital" or "why do you use film still?" -- mostly because these are so subjective and hard to answer, you know, theirs just a thing that cannot be explained. I mention my love for the processes, the feel, and compare it to Vinyl vs Digital in music, another thing i can relate to. Sometimes i wish they just let it rest, one is not on top of the other.

Sometimes new technology isn't necessarily better, nor worse, its just another interpretation of the same thing. Pros and con's on each side.

I can say it easy on a forum when i think it through, but in person, im just like "GAH -- another one", some people really do chuckle about people using film, like its inferior or passed its use by date. I guess it's their loss in limiting themselves to whats on offer, but ignorance hurts me... i just get into an in depth talk of how amazing film is, to the point of me feeling like i'm trying to convert them to a new religion. Maybe i am. so much you can do right...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sick of all those remarks. My friends saw my Zorki 4 and one went "Whoa, is that a real camera?!" I just went "No, I carry a brick with me for fun.".

Another time, in a lift, someone bent down and looked at my Zorki for a few seconds and went "Is that a film camera?"
    Wasn't bothered to reply. Sick of it all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When someone on the street asks me why I'm still using film, I usually say, "because this is black and white, not color", as though this could only be done with film (which, to me it CAN only be done with film). Most of the time that either shuts em up entirely, or they just say "oh...I see." and look puzzled for a minute or two, then just say "nice camera" or something.

Except for the occasional pro or "advanced amateur", who mostly seem to get it, most people don't really understand that statement even though somewhere in the back of their mind they know that their digital images could somehow be converted to B&W in whatever "Home Version" software their cousin who's a photographer told them to use. I just think it doesn't occur to your average DSLR toter/lemming.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, and I HATE being referred to as an ENTHUSIAST! If you are walking around with your plastic little D40 and 16-580/6.8-11 or whatever, YOU are the ENTHUSIAST! THAT pisses me off more than anything!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin