Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,190   Online: 856

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Now That's A REAL Camera!"

I went to my cousin's 1 year old son's birthday party this past Sunday using a Canon AE-1P and a Bronica ETRS. Most of my family knows I still shoot film but I still get the occasional "You still use film!", especially when using the Canon. What's funny though is this was the first time I brought the Bronica to a family gathering since I bought it about a month ago. I had on the speedgrip and a Canon 540EZ attached to it and once they saw it, I hear someone say "Now that's a REAL camera right there!".
    Last edited by CD55; 09-03-2010 at 05:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Darned skippy!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BFD. I am so sick of hearing the "You still use film?" and the "Now that's a real camera!" lines that I just ignore them. I'm even sicker of the "Can I see it on the monitor?" line, and the blank stare you get when you try to explain that there isn't any monitor when I'm using film. Sometimes I'm good natured about it, but sometimes not. Depends on the company.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's the line I hear most when out in public, I just smile and go on my merry way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Can you still get film for that?" (No, I'm just pretending here) and "Are you a professional?" come up a lot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    "Can I see it on the monitor?"
    Even better is when people comment on how amazingly clear the "display" is on my 4x5, but "why is it upside down?"

Another one I get a lot... "Hmmm... Hasselblad!"

[edit] I'm generally good natured about it... most people I talk to mean well, and many of them have a film camera in a closet at home; all they need is a little encouragement to give it a shot. Here's the thing... I don't think most of them are condescending regarding digital vs. film, some of them have a real nostalgic soft spot for film.
    Last edited by Toffle; 09-04-2010 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite used to the "...you still use film?" conversations by now. The conversations are mostly the same from person to person and usually end rather quickly when I give my explanation on the archival issues with digital as opposed to film (for the majority of people who don't back up files). I particularly like the folks who take a look at my camera, nod knowingly, smile and walk away. Doesn't happen often, but it happens.

-Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    BFD. I am so sick of hearing the "You still use film?" and the "Now that's a real camera!" lines that I just ignore them. I'm even sicker of the "Can I see it on the monitor?" line, and the blank stare you get when you try to explain that there isn't any monitor when I'm using film. Sometimes I'm good natured about it, but sometimes not. Depends on the company.
    I guess if you hear enough times I can see how it will get old real quick. A lot of the guys saying it to me though were my cousins so I wasn't taking it so seriously. I know some of them still probably have their 35mm SLRs since they've all converted to digital. Maybe next time I'll ask them about what they have and see if they'll give me their camera bodies as I'm sure they're using the lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was at a junior high school track meet a while back. Had my black Nikon F2/MD2/MB1/24mm combination and a Vivitar 285HV for fill set up on a black Tilt-All under the high jump pit, remotely triggering it all with a vintage Nikon ML-1 infrared release. None of the dads were even watching the jumpers...

Most overheard comment?

"Now THAT's a REAL camera!"

Favorite overheard comment?

"I want one of those!"

Best rejoinder by me to the obvious question, made without ever directly meeting the glance of the questioner?

"Kodachrome. There is no substitute."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite line comes after somebody asks me how I learned to work with film.

We go through the whole, "Do they still make film?" thing. Then they ask how I get it developed. I explain that I have a darkroom in my basement.

The fun really begins when they ask where I learned all this information.
    I just tell them that I am an autodidact.
    Then, of course, they ask, "What's an autodidact?"

I answer, "That is a person who found a dictionary and looked up the word, 'autodidact.'"

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin