Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,667   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just Bought a Mamiya RB67

As I have never owned a medium format camera, I was wondering is this a good first time Medium format. WouldN'T mind hearing from any previous RB67 owners about any tricks or advice on it. I bought it from ebay, there was very little in the description, but hey I got it for 400.00 bucks.

Images
    My first med format was an RB67 PRo S, they are tanks. Built strong, and depending on the vintage have great lenses. Did you get a professional? Pro-S or the Pro SD body? What lens?

The thing that takes a bit to get used to is that the shutter is in the lens, not the body. The C lenses and the newer lenses are great. The original ones are hit or miss depending on the sample you get.

Got a link to the auction?
    hi!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=M. Walter Lyon]was wondering is this a good first time Medium format.

I think so. I use one and enjoy doing so. Good for close subjects with the built in bellows.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bmac, good to know that they are rugged. Here is the link to it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3830633873
    Should I be concerned about the shutter being in the lense? I am just starting to worry that I rushed in because of the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same RB67 you do (the original, not Pro-S or Pro-SD) and am very pleased with it. I prefer a lens shutter to camera body shutter because flash sync is available at all speeds. I also appreciate the fact that the camera is all-mechanical. No worrying about dead batteries (except in my handheld meter, I guess)!

Make a habit out of winding the film back as soon as you take a shot. There is no interlock to prevent accidental double exposures in the original model.

The RB67 Pro-SD manual is available for download in PDF format from mamiya.com. There are very few differences in the various RB67 models. You'll notice that you lack focus lock, double exposure prevention, and a couple other misc features.

Enjoy your new camera!
    Jacob

Images
    Looks like a good user camera. The ability to do double exposures is somethiung that will take getting used to. You'll screw up a bunch of good shots, then you'll start to remember it. hehe. Looks like the 65mm lens attached to it. Have you been in touch with the seller yet? Becareful, his/her feedback is only 4. Just make sure everything smells ok before you send you money.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Great camera

I have been using and repairing these tanks for many years and can tell you it is a great machine. The only thing you would want to do is change the seals. Buy seal material from MicroTek, it's self stick and an assorted pack is about $25, 3 8x10 sheets of 3 thicknesses. You'll have enough material to do everything you own and even do friends cameras too. Just clean out the old gook, cut the strips, peel and stick. That's it. There are internal seals in the body but you'd have to open it to get to them. If the body doesn't leak light, leave it alone.

Be sure to cock the camera before taking off the lens and also be sure the body and lens are cocked before mounting the lens. You can do serious damage by not doing this correctly.

Also DON'T FORCE ANYTHING!

Don't touch the mirror it is very fragile and looks like it's bent. It sits higher on one corner than the other. A common mistake is to try and straighten it. I replace mirros on many RBs because of this.

If you need any technical info, e-mail me at AUTOMAX1@JUNO.COM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have been in touch with the seller. She tells me she is selling it for a friend who bought and never used it. But the seller said she has used it once and loved it. She says it is light tight and in working order. Bmac she says 90mm lense sound right? Paul thanks for the VERY useful information. I am the type who would try to straighten the mirror.If I cock the camera before I remove the lense will both stay cocked afterward or will I have to cock them both again before reuniting them? Anywho, will be sending the payment sometime soon will let you all know when it comes in. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the pics in the ebay listing, I think it's the 90mm lens. I have the RB67 Pro S - great camera. You can download the manual for the Pro S at:

http://www.mamiya.com/assets/pdfs/6x7/RB67_Pro-S_v7.PDF

The differences between this one and the Pro are very minor, so the manual should be very helpful to you.

Shooter
    Medium Format

cocking the camera an lens

Yes when you cock the camera with the lens on, it cocks both. When you remove the lens, it will stay cocked unless you push in the tiny silver pin at the top and advance the pins at the green and red dots. That is how you can fire the lens independant of the camera and the camera independant of the lens. Just be sure to recock the lens by advancing the 2 pins to the dots again till they lock in place and check the body too.

If you should lock the lens on, don't force anything, there is a way to unlock it, DON'T FORCE ANYTHING! It's a paper clip job through a hole in the front just under the leatherete, top right corner.

The mirror thing may sound silly but it's a common mistake of nubies who look inside this monster for the first time. They think it's a bit cocked to one side and try forcing it and it will crack like an egg shell. I have plenty of mirror if you need so don't fret it if you do break it.

The lens you are getting is a non-C but is a great piece of glass. If the shutter goes on it, I can do that repair, you won't need a new shutter as Mamiya will tell you they can do for just $400 adn your first born and maybe an arm and just a leg as down payment.

Congratulations, it's a wonderfull camera adn if you ever feel brave, try fixing it yourself, it's a beautiful machine to work on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin