Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,352   Online: 1195

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Hasselblad adapter rings for 40676 Pro Shade

I am selling my Mamiya 6 and switching to Hasselblad. I recently acquired a 40676 Pro Shade (pictured) that came with an adapter ring with "phi" 50 written around the rim, bayonet on the one side that attaches to the lens and filter threads on the other. The adapter ring fits my 80/2.8 Planar and 150/4 Sonnar. I would also like to use the hood with my 50/4 Distagon and on a 250/5.6 Sonnar that will be arriving shortly. All are chrome C lenses.

What is the name of the adapter I already have?
    http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00BqPx
    If the one post in this link is correct, there are 3 adapter rings: B50, B60, B70. Since my ring says "phi"50, I presume it is the B50 ring. Is this correct?

What adapters do I need for the Distagon and 250 Sonnar?

Thanks,
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hassy Pro Shade 5070 (40676).jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The adapter you have is the B50 and should work with the 250mm lens along with the 80 and 150. However, I believe that the 50mm C lens has a 63mm screw thread instead of the bayonet fitting of the others. I don't know if an adapter exists for the thread mounting. I believe the hood you have is the version that came out with the CF line of lenses that all had the bayonet fitting for attachments. I hope this helps.

Ron

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Ron. It's good to know the B50 will work with the 250 Sonnar.

The Distagon has front threads as you mentioned (67mm). However, I figured the hood must work some way with the lens since it has calibration marks for the bellows setting for C lenses including the 50.

I wonder if Hasselblad made an adapter that is the reverse of the B50, i.e. threads on the lens end and bayonet mount on the front akin to the front of the 80/150/250 lenses. Something like a "67mm to B60" adapter, not the reverse which is easy to find.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    The Distagon has front threads as you mentioned (67mm). However, I figured the hood must work some way with the lens since it has calibration marks for the bellows setting for C lenses including the 50.
    Yep.
    There are/were 4 lens mounting rings for this shade. Besides the bayonet 50 one that you have, there was one for bayonet 60 lenses, one for bayonet 70 lenses, and indeed one with Series 63 lenses (what is it again? Series VII? I forgot. It's not quite 67 mm metric filter thread, but often close enough.)
    So you can use the shade on your C 50 mm lens.

I wonder if Hasselblad made an adapter that is the reverse of the B50, i.e. threads on the lens end and bayonet mount on the front akin to the front of the 80/150/250 lenses. Something like a "67mm to B60" adapter, not the reverse which is easy to find.
    Alas, no.
    Would be good if they had.

There is a 93 mm thread adapter for the later ProShade 6093 (and the "T" variant), and with step down rings, you could use that shade on thread filter mount lenses.
    But that adaopter, of course , doesn't fit any of the other shades.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Q.G. I guess I won't be able to use the pro shade with the 50.

I saw a couple posts on ebay for round lens hoods for the 50. Too bad Hasselblad doesn't make a square shade; I like the aesthetic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Q.G. I guess I won't be able to use the pro shade with the 50.
    Unless you find the adapter.
    Should be possible.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry QG. I misread your post in my haste to get back to work.

I understand that the Distagon C takes Series 63 filters, which from what I gather is almost but not the same as 67mm filters (which probably explains why the 67mm filter that came with the lens doesn't glide smoothly).

I have found countless web sites selling:
    - Series 63 filters
    - x-mm-to-Series 63 step up rings
    - B50/B60-to-Series 63 adapters (for round Series 63 filters)

But I have not been able to find a Series 63 adapter for Series 8/VIII drop-in filters. Is this what I need to fit the pro shade? A part number or a link to the specific item you're talking about would be much appreciated.

In the end, I don't care what it's called. All it needs to do is fit into the ~78mm hole in the pro shade to be secured by the two screws. If I can't find the dedicated adapter, I think I'm going to buy a 67-77mm step up ring, tape some felt around it to increase its outer diameter to 78mm and use that as the adapter.
    Last edited by Tony Karnezis; 09-09-2010 at 02:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity, spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Hasselblad catalogue number of the Series 63 adapter ring you need for this shade is 40684.

Click on that, and you will have found one.
    I don't know whether that asking price is high or low.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bedankt!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin