Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,314   Posts: 1,536,690   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fujifilm Instant Film, the output size

Hi,

I was learning lighting from a gentleman last night and he shot a few "polaroids." The size is appr 3 x 4, but the image is 2 x 2. Why? He was using a Hassy. I'm considering a polaroid back for my Mamiya RZ 67.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No matter how big the sheet of Polaroid is, you can only create an image that is the same size as the film that would normally be exposed by that camera. A Hassie exposes a piece of film that is 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" square. So that's all you get as an image on the polaroid. Your camera would give a polaroid with an image size slightly bigger in one dimension.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yup, to get the full image size on Fuji Instant, you want to put it in a real Polaroid Land camera (like an Automatic 100 or a 250, both easily obtained on eBay), or a press camera, like the Mamiya Universal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Polaroid" back for the RB67 doesn't mask the sides, so you get a strange shaped image roughly 2 3/4 square (7.4x7.5 cm). Strange in that the sides are masked by different internal parts with the corners notched a bit. Not quite the 6x7 image you would expect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The whole idea of Polariod backs for Hasselblads, et. al. was only for proofing purposes. Check the lighting, check the composition, etc. They were never meant to be finished work. 'Course that doesn't stop anyone form doing so, but there you have it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekhotep View Post
    Hi,

I was learning lighting from a gentleman last night and he shot a few "polaroids." The size is appr 3 x 4, but the image is 2 x 2. Why? He was using a Hassy. I'm considering a polaroid back for my Mamiya RZ 67.
    I bet if you think about it for a minute you can come up with the answer. Hint 1: It is EXTREMELY OBVIOUS. Hint 2: If you do get a Polaroid back for your RZ, the images will be larger than the ones from your friend's Hassy.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all, I won a Polaroid Back for my camera, $11.00 on ebay. I'm excited to try it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    That's the right price! Have fun. Fuji Instant is totally addictive. I really like the FP 3000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! That is a good price for the back. Congratulations.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great price - I've been trying to find one under $40 for a while now! And don't even ask about 4x5 backs and film... not sure I'll ever be able to justify that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin