Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,904   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji's new GF670W Rangefinder: Priceless?

Fuji announced their new GF670W at Photokina . . . and, no surprise, they did not announce its price. On my blog, I discuss the pricing history of the GF670 and speculate on the factors that may shape the as yet unannounced price of Fuji's new camera. You can read the post here: http://wp.me/ph0f6-3i

Mark
    Leica MP, M7, Fujifilm GF670
    http://markgoodephotos.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that's a camera I could lust after, I like a WA lens and could use that 55mm as standard.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, and what would you be wiling to pay for the camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a $1000 question.

In truth not an arm & leg. I can use my 617 camera at 6x12 if needs be with a 75mm lens which is at a very rough guess about the same horizontal angle of view.

However the new Fuji would be far more practical as a single camera option, I often carry 6x6, 6x17 and 5x4

I'd have to see it might well be far cheaper to convert a Polaroid camera exchange rates and then regional pricing etc makes a HUGE difference.

A 6x9 camera with a 65mm lens would be even better,

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a pity that it isn't a folder.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, your "$1,000" response conforms well with the data presented in the poll on the Rangefinderforum that I discuss in the post. At least one person commented on my blog post that he expected the price to be around $2,500 because of the sophistication of the lens design . . . perhaps, though Cosina is the presumed manufacturer of the camera and they manufacture complex lens designs far less expensively than others (that's code for "Leica").

BTW, I noticed your location is Turkey, er West Midlands, UK. The UK subsidiary of Fuji has put up their own website for the GF670 and has promoted the camera heavily. Maybe they'll be able to argue for more competitive pricing with Japanese HQ :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ Chazzy -- I agree. I'll bet the manufacturing cost of the folder design proved too expensive.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The folder mechanism will be not there so they save some money on it but the lens design is pretty complicated although C.V. can make less expensive W.A. lenses (looking at the U.W.H. and S.W.H. but in M-mount now not a real bargain anymore). I predicted the Bessa III 667 introduction around Eur. 2000 2 years ago and for this new W.A. camera version I think around Eur. 2200.

But we will see in a few months what happens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is more like a w.a. version of my GW680III, which, after using the GF670/Bessa III for a fortnight, I actually prefer to use (rather than a folder) - so if it's released, in a moment of madness I could see myself buying it. I don't like the shutter mechanism on these (it's so quiet and touch-sensitive) though - I prefer a satisfying "clunk", or a quiet shutter with a bit of depth to it...

In regards to price - I always think my LF kit was expensive, but both in comparison to some of the rapidly obsolescing DSLR's with a decent set of lenses, are actually quite reasonable, even at US$2500+, given the negative size and optical quality. We just need to set aside $20 a week for two years or so ;-)

Marc!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Marc,
    There is a wide angle version of your GW690III - it is the GSW680III with a 65mm lens. I have seen it here and there for sale, but it seems to be quite rare judging by how little I see it compared to the GW680III.

Regards, Yuri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin