Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,112   Online: 844

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 645 questions

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 645Pro (mainly for the 80/1.9_. I found a few kits with winder and prism but there seem to be two prisms, the FK402 tube-like one and the more normal looking FE401. I found some tech specs that show the FE401 to have more metering modes but I'm not particularly interested in metering. My main question is this, for whoever has used both: is one easier to use than the other for MF? Brighter/clearer? Or are they the same and just differ on metering?

Thanks!
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The FE401 is a true prism, and the image viewed shows less distortion and may be a bit brighter. To adjust it for different eyesight, accessory diopter correction lenses are required.

The FK402 isn't a true prism, and will show more distortion. It is lighter in weight and slightly smallerand has a built in adjustable diopter.

There is also a non-metering FP401 - a FE401 without the meter.

The FK402 was originally only sold as part of the SVX kit.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FK402 is a Reflex finder, and its much cheaper.
    The FE401 is a Prism Finder, More expensive.
    Besides the metering difference.

I have the FK version but one without the meter, works fine for me. The FK402 has a +/- 5 diopter also. I do not have problem focusing with that thing.

If you are not interested in metering, get one with meters not working on KEH, very cheap. Thought about getting one and fix the meter myself, But don't know if I want to gamble.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok thanks very much, that helps.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin