Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,173   Online: 1213

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya Pro-S backs?

I just bought a RB67 Pro-S back on the big auction site that was advertised as still functioning and the pics looked great (Seller rating 100%). I'm aware that i'll probably need to change the light seals - no problem there.

However, i am wondering what other potential problems i may encounter with a back? Are these things reasonably serviceable as is much of the rest of the system?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Run a test roll to check frame spacing. I've got three that came from the "site" - all different sellers - and none leak light but one does sometimes give me some odd frame spacing - a result I assume of a missing tooth on a gear in winding mechanism. It's always a case of too wide a space between frames not over lapping so I don't worry about it. Otherwise, there's not a lot to go wrong with them unless they've been abused and bent.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also have a pro s back but it will stop me from loading and advancing the film. seems the gears inside the back are stripped or broken. I bought a back for rbsd from keh in LN condition and no problem now. Advance camera in portland OR will fix youre pros back for around $125.00 i believe. Hope this helps. don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a pair of Pro-S backs that sort of 'lock up' mid-roll at random times, preventing me from advancing the film. Usually some fussing -- rotating the back from horizontal to vertical to horizontal again, or removing the back and re-mounting -- gets it moving again.

I've also noticed just recently that some sort of glue/foam rubber method of light seal repair is deteriorating in the backs as well as on the adaptor mount on the back of the camera body. I've never replaced light seals before. Can anyone direct me to a thread or some instructions for doing this on the RB67?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ostgardlaw View Post
    I've also noticed just recently that some sort of glue/foam rubber method of light seal repair is deteriorating in the backs as well as on the adaptor mount on the back of the camera body. I've never replaced light seals before. Can anyone direct me to a thread or some instructions for doing this on the RB67?
    Contact Jon Goodman (interslice on eBay) to see if he has a kit for this. His kits and instructions are excellent and inexpensive, and he is great to deal with.

Not connected, satisfied customer, etc.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info all!!!

If more info is available, please keep it coming!!!!

BTW, John @ Interslice is the man! I've bought my kits from him and he's the epitome of Customer Satisfaction.

I don't have the film back at the moment, but i'm just trying to learn what things to look for when i do get it.

Keep it coming!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ostgardlaw View Post
    I have a pair of Pro-S backs that sort of 'lock up' mid-roll at random times, preventing me from advancing the film. Usually some fussing -- rotating the back from horizontal to vertical to horizontal again, or removing the back and re-mounting -- gets it moving again.

They're really not that difficult to replace. Pro S backs only really need seals replaced on the hinge and clasp surfaces of the shell that surrounds the film insert. Inserts need small pieces replaced on the four corners(see attached pix for Pro back which is very similar). The surface on the RB adapter that mates with the film back has a channel that requires foam seals, too. It's really a matter of carefully scraping out the old seals thoroughly, cleaning the attachment surfaces of all residue, and replacing them with thin adhesive backed foam. I think the pre-fab seal kits are very pricey for some foam, popsicle stix and a little handholding. I've used thin craft store foam that costs about $1 per 8x10 sheet with no problems on several Pro S backs. All you need is an Xacto knife or equivalent, a straight edge and some patience. It's really not that tough!
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/Mami...seal/index.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link - they are excellent instructions!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, thanks everyone for the information on replacing seals. Quite a remarkable resource, APUG.

Jim Ostgard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin