Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,534   Online: 1141

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I once owned an AE-II, and later purchased an AE-III. Within the fundamental limitations of using any reflected light meter, the AE-II and the AE-III are perfectly accurate meters! I shot many weddings professionally with both meter prisms, as well as shot many color transparencies (and we know that has very little lattitude for exposure error!) using those meters.

The AE-II and AE-III are equally accurate; the AE-III is more precise (1/12EV metering precision with 1/6EV exposure control for AE-III, 1/6EV metering precision with 1/3EV exposure control for AE-II.

I know the AE-II and AE-III meters were accurate, because I had test standard of Minolta Spotmeter F and Minolta Autometer IVf to compare readings of gray cards against.

The mechanical fit of any of the Bronica prisms is a bit loose even when both camera and prism are new, but I have never found the looseness to have any affect on connections between body and metering prism and the resulting accuracy.
    Last edited by wiltw; 09-18-2010 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add comment

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    I've owned two. Could be because of their age, and I've never found any (including my regular prism) to sit very tight on the bodies, so it could have been a contact issue. Anyhow, I generally always use a handheld with MF anyways so I didn't bother trying out another one or an AEIII.

So my statement "in general" may have been based on a limited sample
    I appreciate the information.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just wondering about the battery thing ... if the shutter fires under the 1/500th shudder speed, doesn't that mean the battery is working? I just got mine, and the AEII seems to be stuck on 8. Don't know if it's the battery or what.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If battery is dead, the ETR(Si) fires at 1/500. Verify battery is good via battery check button. And since the battery powers the prism meter, the fact that you get any reading is inherently an indication of a functional battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stradibarrrius, I too just picked up an ETRSi system but mine has the AEIII prism. I've only shot a couple rolls so far but both were metered pretty much spot on, no problem at all. It seems a really nice system and I'm looking forward to many enjoyable days with it. It just feels so good to use.
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed, I think you will really enjoy this camera. I have an RB67, and a Mamiya M645 1000S, and so far I am in love with this Bronica too. The lenses have a nice contrast and some characteristic that I cannot put my finger on but I like it.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had the AE II prism for a while, and it works fairly well. Mine is kind of flaky - in manual mode, the shutter speeds just flicker, it never really settles on a recommendation - but I get more consistent exposures with the AE II than with a chimney finder and the Sunny 16 rule.

I do love the camera though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin