Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,731   Online: 1249

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Your best Color film 4 fashion shooting for Hassy 500cm

I ´m about tho shoot a clothing company´s catalog. Set up will be probably in a home-made studio with 3 metz 45 cl hassy 500 cm with the 2.8 80mm and a 3.5 150mm. I´d like to obtain that glamour pastel look, I had good results with the Kodak Portra 160 nc but not really what I wanted to achieve! Very good for skin tones and portrait but not really suitable for a clothing focused catalog! I never had a chance to shoot some clothes so I dont know that much wich film will better fit for that type of result I´m looking for...!!!
    Thanx in advance!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/th3ch3f

ch3f.tumblr.com

2 Hasselblad 500 CM Nikon FE2 Lubitel 166+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VC would be better for fashion than NC, but both are being replace before the end of this year. Buy a stash of VC and freeze it. If you do that you can prevent the hoarders from buying it all up!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Portra 400 VC and NC have been replaced with a single Portra 400, but I've seen no indication that Portra 160 NC or 1600 VC are being replaced.

If you want more color saturation, then maybe you want to try Ektar 100. I don't think that will work for you because the color on that one is really a bit over the top, but I'd test it just to see if it will work. But really, does it matter that much? This is for a catalog, so you know that these images will be digitized. It's an easy thing to modify the hue, saturation, and contrast at that point. The lighting will be the same. Exposures should be well controlled (if they're not, you're doing something wrong). Color balance should be the same across all the images. Once you've got all that under control, it's an easy thing to set up a script to apply the same adjustments to all the images as a batch job. Any necessary adjustments after that will be minor. With all that going for you, you could shoot the thing on just about any medium speed consumer color print film and still have a very nice product.
    Last edited by fschifano; 09-19-2010 at 07:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    THx Frank Schifano!!!!
    You have some italian in you?(lol) cause I´m Italian! I have already used the ektar 100 but only for outdoor not in studio.
    I have only used the 160nc in my little studio as a color film. Cause im stoked on the B&W home develop so lately I´ve been using more B&W and since six moth or so I havet been shooting color film. Basically is a clothing catalog so the product has to be seen propely... Besides that I was just asking here some of you guys your past experiences...
    thx

ch3f.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chef_IBK View Post
    You have some italian in you?(lol) cause I´m Italian!
    Sicilian, there's a difference.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no films that are "fashion film," "landscape film," or "people film," unless you simply lack all vision and cannot make your own decisions about your pictures. You have to know what you want from each of those situations, because they are highly variable, and what photographers want in them is even more variable. My advice is to not get stuck into ruts of what film is for what purpose. Learn how different films act, and use them when called for, in any situation.

If you want to achieve pastel colors, the best thing you can do is to shoot pastel colors in the first place. If you simply mean that you want to use colors that are all pretty high in tone, then lighting will make more difference than your film. If you mean that you want low contrast, then I would not use Kodak VC, Ektar, or Fuji C. I would use Fuji S or Kodak NC based on what you have said. I would opt for the Kodak for standard portraiture, and the Fuji for products. If I wanted WYSIWYG, I'd use Fuji Reala, hands down, if limited to C-41 films. If I wanted WYSIWYG in a transparency film, the number one choice for me would be Fuji T64 (needs tungsten lighting), followed by Kodak EPN, then Provia, then EPP, then E100G.

The only one of the two color neg. films I suggested that is still made is the Kodak 160NC, though finding the Fuji in stock and fresh from a retailer should not be difficult. The only ones of the positive films that are still made are Provia and E100G. T64 should be available at may retailers, but EPN and EPP will have to be tracked down through E-Bay or some other source.

However, as I said, the color design of the shot and the lighting will have the largest effects.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-20-2010 at 11:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sicilian, there's a difference.
    I´m originally from Sicily too siamo conterranei yo!

ch3f.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks 2f/2f. Wow it was a long post! I think i will use the NC, positive films are way too expensive for the develop too... I have 3 metz cl 45 the are preatty old but they still work...but is the only ligth I can afford rigth now . I have builded 2 softboxes using old cartons cause I cant buy me new ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/th3ch3f/4199531133/

Here´s a link on my flickrs page where I have used the DIY softbox both left-rigth 45° degrees to the subject 1,5 meter high.
    Do u think they could work for that shoot or I have to borrow real ones?
    ciao

ch3f.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chef_IBK View Post
    thanks 2f/2f. Wow it was a long post! I think i will use the NC, positive films are way too expensive for the develop too... I have 3 metz cl 45 the are preatty old but they still work...but is the only ligth I can afford rigth now . I have builded 2 softboxes using old cartons cause I cant buy me new ones.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/th3ch3f/4199531133/

Here´s a link on my flickrs page where I have used the DIY softbox both left-rigth 45° degrees to the subject 1,5 meter high.
    Do u think they could work for that shoot or I have to borrow real ones?
    ciao
    The photo in your link looks good, but it involves fairly strong/directional light, with the source quite low (for a portrait).

If that is the look you want, then it's fine.

If you want softer, more rounded and more "pastel", you would need to change the diffusion and distance and direction of your light sources.

The Metz 45 heads are fine, but they lack a modelling light, so it is a bit harder to experiment before actually shooting.

If you have the chance, shoot a trial roll or two with a number of lighting experiments on it.

If you don't have the opportunity to shoot a colour trial, you could learn a fair bit about the right lighting with B & W.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was going to recommend Fuji Astia slide film but I see that it has been discontinued.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin