Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,348   Online: 787

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What ballhead for Manfrotto 055?

Hi

I am going to purchase a 005 tripod after using it for some weeks. I am shooting with RB67 gear and it suits my needs perfectly - I have used it with a ballhead called 488RC0 (manfrotto) but will need to buy one with the camera - which one should I get? I have been looking through Amazon, MAnfrotto, Google etc. and wow what a jungle it is...

this is what ill be buying:

http://manfrotto.com/product/8374.58...od_055_-_Black

I want to minimize the use of adapters and such to make it fit my rb67. And the ballhead should be around 80GBP.

Any ideas?

All the best,

Kim

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I happily use a 055 for my medium format cameras. I get away with a Manfrotto 486 but think a 488 would be better. I do, however, use the large Manfrotto hex plate system, since the smaller RC2 is marginal for the weight of an RB67, especially if carried around on a tripod as I tend to do(it's adequate for my Mamiya 645 and Bronica SQ-B).Many will insist you need a massive(and pricey)ballhead QR plate system for the RB67 but the lighter heads like the 488 will work provided the QR plate is big enough. Thanks to the rotating back, the weight doesn't move all that much beyond the center of the tripod. Though probably contradictory, I like to keep my tripod/head combinations are light as possible so I can get out and around with my RB67. I sometimes use a Manfrotto 440 Carbon One but it's almost too petite for the big Mamiya. BTW, very nice personal and collective work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I happily use a 055 for my medium format cameras. I get away with a Manfrotto 486 but think a 488 would be better. I do, however, use the large Manfrotto hex plate system, since the smaller RC2 is marginal for the weight of an RB67, especially if carried around on a tripod as I tend to do(it's adequate for my Mamiya 645 and Bronica SQ-B).Many will insist you need a massive(and pricey)ballhead QR plate system for the RB67 but the lighter heads like the 488 will work provided the QR plate is big enough. Thanks to the rotating back, the weight doesn't move all that much beyond the center of the tripod. Though probably contradictory, I like to keep my tripod/head combinations are light as possible so I can get out and around with my RB67. I sometimes use a Manfrotto 440 Carbon One but it's almost too petite for the big Mamiya. BTW, very nice personal and collective work.
    I tried to find the 488 but couldnt find it. I did find this one which seem to have a plate larger than the RC2 one? http://manfrotto.com/product/8374.31..._head_with_RC4

btw, the term QR plate - what is this? I was amazed at how much stuff is available in this market (tripods).

Are you shooting with a Bronica SQ-B? How does this system perform? I remember wanting to get one when I was in Prague. I saw one in the smallest of shops at a very affordable price - but that was some time ago. Is it a 6x4,5 system?

I'm happy that you like my work, much appreciated!

All the best,

Kim

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Catton View Post
    I tried to find the 488 but couldnt find it. I did find this one which seem to have a plate larger than the RC2 one? http://manfrotto.com/product/8374.31..._head_with_RC4

btw, the term QR plate - what is this? I was amazed at how much stuff is available in this market (tripods).

Are you shooting with a Bronica SQ-B? How does this system perform? I remember wanting to get one when I was in Prague. I saw one in the smallest of shops at a very affordable price - but that was some time ago. Is it a 6x4,5 system?

I'm happy that you like my work, much appreciated!

All the best,

Kim
    I got one of these--Manfrotto sells them separately--and mated it with a 486 without a plate adapter. Manfrotto sells most of their heads this way. The plate adapters simply screw into the ball heads. This way you get the QR plate-head combo that suits you. BTW, QR=quick release, sorry.

http://manfrotto.com/product/8374.56...h_030-14_Plate

I like the old school hex plate for the RB67--max contact area for secure grip without tightening the crap out of the plate screw.

Love the SQ-B. It's a stripped-down SQ-Ai. No electronics apart from the shutter, so the metered finders and ISO dial backs of the A and Ai models can't talk to each other on the B. Takes all Bronica SQ "S" and "PS" lenses. No "T" exposure but does have a "Bulb" setting for long exposures. I wanted a manual 6x6 format SLR and this was the "one." Light, compact, basic square format kit. They're usually very affordable because they're totally manual. Just add a light meter and you're set!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I travel I use a Gitzo G1276M head on a Gitzo G1127 carbon fiber tripod with Hasselblads that works just fine including up to a 250mm lens. Manfrotto must have a similar head. I'm not sure what the current product numbers are. When lightness and convenience is not an issue I use a heavier duty Bogen with a three way pan head. You should be able to find a chart with the specs as to extension and weight which the equipment can support. Both use plate quick connects which are definitely a plus when using more than one body or different format cameras.

http://jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I got one of these--Manfrotto sells them separately--and mated it with a 486 without a plate adapter. Manfrotto sells most of their heads this way. The plate adapters simply screw into the ball heads. This way you get the QR plate-head combo that suits you. BTW, QR=quick release, sorry.

http://manfrotto.com/product/8374.56...h_030-14_Plate

I like the old school hex plate for the RB67--max contact area for secure grip without tightening the crap out of the plate screw.

Love the SQ-B. It's a stripped-down SQ-Ai. No electronics apart from the shutter, so the metered finders and ISO dial backs of the A and Ai models can't talk to each other on the B. Takes all Bronica SQ "S" and "PS" lenses. No "T" exposure but does have a "Bulb" setting for long exposures. I wanted a manual 6x6 format SLR and this was the "one." Light, compact, basic square format kit. They're usually very affordable because they're totally manual. Just add a light meter and you're set!
    That seems like a very good idea. I think Ill go for exactly that combination you just mentioned. The plate looks very robust.

I really feel the same away about manual cameras. I have armed myself with a small sekonic lightmeter to go along my rb67 - Im happy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i have arca swiss Z or something, and it's really great

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the 488RC2/055MF4 with RZ67, works great.
    Regards
    Ed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin