Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,155   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

On the Mamiya 645 and 645AFs

Enlighten me.

*Does all mamiya 645 lenses work on the AF(D) platform? If so will I get light metering with the manual focus lenses?

*How is the 80/1.9? Sharpness, resolution, contrast, can it compare with the 80/2.0 for Contax? Any good example images on short DoF characteristics?

*Which wideangles are recommended?

*Which tele lens do you recommend for portraiture? Is it worth while getting the leaf shutter one? Do I have to fiddle with the focal shutters to use it?

*Can I if I want use a digital back (heresy, I know) with the AF only, or do I have to get an AFD?

*What are the differences between the different AFD models?

*Handling, how is it compared to a pro SLR? Do I need to training the snatch and the clean and jerk, or is it okay to use handheld for longer periods of time?

If you have any other information regarding these cameras, that you might think is essential but often left out, you are very welcome to inform me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mamiya AFDIII Lotta information on this website.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to FAQ on Mamiya's website, MF lenses will work on AF bodies except that lens won't stopped down upon shutter release. You'll have to put it into manual mode before shutter release. (or keep it there but focusing may be difficult in low light situations)

To me, this "it works but....." is really a show stopper. I read it as non-usable except for emergencies and for very patient people.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    According to FAQ on Mamiya's website, MF lenses will work on AF bodies except that lens won't stopped down upon shutter release. You'll have to put it into manual mode before shutter release. (or keep it there but focusing may be difficult in low light situations)

To me, this "it works but....." is really a show stopper. I read it as non-usable except for emergencies and for very patient people.
    Exactly my thoughts. I had hoped that it would work nice and smoothly, with automatic stop down, and calculated metering with out the need to stop down for metering. But as long as nobody can clearly state the opposite I will continue saving up for a contax.

Why do they state that the AF-series is compatible with hasselblad V-series lenses with the appropriate adapter? It should have the same limitations, if not even more, as the MF-lenses from Mamiya?

(not because the contax has the mentioned feature, but because it's a freakin better camera)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The lens stuff you can look up. There are even 3rd party comparison data that you can see.

Handling, well, with possible exception of the afd3, none of the afds handle anything like a pro 35mm- the AF, metering, and overall handling are downright clunky by comparison and the noise levels, if you do decide to go with a digital back, are also complete crap. There are also no vertical grips for the afd cameras and the finder is built in, so no possibility of waist level and handling is not anything like a 35mm slr.

I have an afd and prefer my 645 pro by a long shot. The pro is far more modular and therefore more versatile. Plus it is lighter and can pack much, much smaller if you taker it apart. You can just about pack two pros for every afd, I am not joking. Just because of the damn built-in finder and winder. But... if you want to shoot vertically, the built-in finder is nice.

Lenswise, well the selection of wides and ultrawides is an enduring disappointment, unless you can afford the 28... $$$! The 35 is kindawide and there are very few options wider... some ukrainian things, and you can defish images from a fisheye, that's it. My 35 is decent, but my 45 is much, much better.

On a positive note, there are some new LS lenses for the afds with amazingly fast synch, very useful for weddingy / portraity stuff, I imagine. E.g. flash fill in bright sunlight. I don't know whether they'd work on a pro but you can check into that if it interests you.

For my taste, the 645 pro is a fantastic value, it is like a mini rb and most of the lenses are superb but there are some older 80/1.9 lenses that are not colour neutral in the least (in case you do colour work). Mine is fine in that regard but others have reported issues. But they are inexpensive and lots of fun.

If you want contax-level performance in your normal lens then compare to the 2.8 though, not the 1.9. The 1.9 isn't there, no way. It is a very sweet lens for some things but it's an inexpensive and not very well corrected lens for when you need the extra stop and interesting OOF rendering. It has character. But the 2.8 beats it all over the place if you are talking about lp/mm and neutrality and coatings etc. I have four 80mm lenses for my 645 systems, the 1.9, the 2.8 AF, the 2.8 manual, and the 80/4 macro. They are all great at what they do and didn't set me back much at all.

So... for my taste, 645 pro all the way.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    The lens stuff you can look up. There are even 3rd party comparison data that you can see.

Handling, well, with possible exception of the afd3, none of the afds handle anything like a pro 35mm- the AF, metering, and overall handling are downright clunky by comparison and the noise levels, if you do decide to go with a digital back, are also complete crap. There are also no vertical grips for the afd cameras and the finder is built in, so no possibility of waist level and handling is not anything like a 35mm slr.

I have an afd and prefer my 645 pro by a long shot. The pro is far more modular and therefore more versatile. Plus it is lighter and can pack much, much smaller if you taker it apart. You can just about pack two pros for every afd, I am not joking. Just because of the damn built-in finder and winder. But if you want to shoot vertically, the build in finder is nice.

Lenswise, well the selection of wides and ultrawides is an enduring disappointment, unless you can afford the 28... $$$! The 35 is kindawide and there are very few options wider... some ukrainian things, and you can defish images from a fisheye, that's it. My 35 is decent, but my 45 is much, much better.

On a positive note, there are some new LS lenses for the afds with amazingly fast synch, very useful for weddingy / portraity stuff, I imagine. E.g. flash fill in bright sunlight. I don't know whether they'd work on a pro but you can check into that if it interests you.

For my taste, the 645 pro is a fantastic value, it is like a mini rb and most of the lenses are superb but there are some older 80/1.9 lenses that are not colour neutral in the least (in case you do colour work). Mine is fine in that regard but others have reported issues. But they are inexpensive and lots of fun.

If you want contax-level performance then compare to the 2.8 though, not the 1.9. The 1.9 isn't there, no way. It is a very sweet lens for some things but it's an inexpensive and not very well corrected lens for when you need the extra stop and interesting OOF rendering. It has character. But the 2.8 beats it all over the place if you are talking about lp/mm and neutrality and coatings etc.
    Fantastic reply! Very appreciated!

Forgive my ignorance but does the pro have motor wind?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can get a motor wind for the pro, yes. When you see what a cute little parcel it is without that, though, you won't want one! Anyway I find it complete genius that you can take it (and the prism) off for packing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    Mamiya AFDIII Lotta information on this website.
    In particular, this (in the FAQ section under Customer Service and 645 AFDIII):

http://www.mamiya-usa.com/assets/pdf...Comparison.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the 645 Super or Pro/ProTl and the older leaf shutter lenses, you need to set the focal plane shutter to 1/8 second or slower. If you have the next to latest versions of the leaf shutter lenses and power winder and the appropriate cable, the focal plane shutter speed will be set for you and the leaf shutter will be cocked for you. Otherwise, you need to cock the leaf shutter manually for each shot.

My 55mm f/2.8 N is a very nice lens - I use it essentially as a standard lens.

As to whether they can be used hand held for a long time, they were very popular with wedding photographers.
    The 45mm f/2.8 N is very nice as well - similar to a 28mm in 135 terms. The older version of the 45mm that required larger, 77mm filters, is good, but not as good as the N lens.

55mm f/2.8, 80mm f/2.8, 110mm f/2.8, 150mm f/3.5, 150mm f/4.0 and 210mm f/4.0 - all use the same filters and lens caps and the same focus assist lever. I really like the combination of the focus assist lever and the left hand grip with electronic release and hot shoe. My standard kit is 55mm f/2.8, 110mm f/2.8 and 210mm f/4.0 is just about my standard kit (although the 45mm keeps creeping into the bag).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, what focus assist lever? What does it do? (other than the obvious - assists focus!)...?? This is something I've never heard of...
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin