Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,479   Online: 870

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question and comments on the Pentax 645 non "N"

Having just acquired a non "N" 645, I can consistently get 16 frames per roll if I don't align the start arrows with the pointer. I set the arrows so they are just visible as the roll unwinds. The frame spacing is 8mm between frames. The film doesn't wind out until the shutter is pressed with the frame counter showing 16.
    The camera does this with either a 120 insert or a 220 one with the key flipped around.

Is winding the film out after hitting the shutter button on frame 16 normal on anyone else's camera? Just wondering if this is normal for this model or ? ? ?.

I'm not complaining, the manual says 15 frames per roll, so an extra frame per roll is a nice unexpected feature.

Arista.edu films don't work very well as the paper leader is conductive enough to pass enough current from the spring contacts to the film rails to tell the camera there is no film in the insert. The odd thing is the paper backing is not conductive on the inner surface from the point where the film is taped to it. The camera works perfectly with Fuji, Kodak and Ilford films.

220 inserts appear to work perfectly with 120 film if you reverse the plastic key between the spool clips. There appears to be no difference in the inserts other than the sticker on the latch. I measured the pressure plate force on both inserts I got with the body and a third 220 one, the deflection force was within 10% for three different backs.
    A super nice camera overall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Pentax 645 Non "N" and only get 15 exposures per roll. I checked mine and there is approximately 5/8" or 8mm gap between frames. There is only about 3/4" of blank film at either end so I don't see how you could accurately fit one more frame on the roll.

It's a nice camera, but the exposure metering is off on mine.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,

So far it does the 16 frames on FP4+, Neopan 400, Ektar and VC400. That's why I'm asking. Is your gap between frames 5/8"? That's closer to 16 mm than 8mm(5/16"ish).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oops. I meant 5/16". Sorry about the confusion.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should also say that I haven't tried the films in mine that you listed.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just shot a roll of Agfapan APX 400, and I got 16 frames. Or at least, I thought that I did. I should process the film tomorrow morning to be sure.

I'm impressed with the handling of the camera. Despite it being large and somewhat heavy, it's very easy to use. The lenses focuses smoothly, and the viewfinder is uncluttered. I think Pentax did a great job with this camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested to know what you find, also how much blank space you have between the tape and the first frame.

Thanks,

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin