Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,147   Online: 867

Shooter
    Multi Format

Aperture equivalents for No. 2 Ansco Box

Hey all -

I have been having some fun with an Ansco No. 2 Buster Brown box camera. I would like to know if anybody here has a rule of thumb for aperture when using any of the three diaphragm settings. I have heard the the shutter is about 1/60, but I have had no luck finding any other setting info. I was hoping to use a light meter to help with indoor photos, and it would be nice to have some ballpark estimates. I read the manual, and saw the table that was listed there, but it would be nice to use my meter, as this very much impresses strangers, and would be much easier than referencing the table when "on-the-go." Also, I have been using Ilford PanF 50 with great results, but I would be interested to hear what other film people like to use with these sexy little beasts.

Thanks in advance for any help and have a great day

-Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi bill

not sure if you have seen this page ..
    ( its for kodak, not ansco box cameras, but i am sure it is similar )

http://www.brownie-camera.com/tech.shtml

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    But, above all, HAVE FUN with it. It's always a cherished thing making photographs with antique equipment.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link - I had been searching for Ansco cameras only, I never thought to try looking for information about similar models!

Chris - you are so right about antique equipment. No only is it a blast using the thing, but the conversations I get into with strangers as I walk around with it are half my enjoyment. Between the Ansco and my Rolleiflex, I have heard more stories about family vacations, the national park service, east coast beaches, WWII, what Europe was like in the fifties, the hoover dam, etc. I have always loved chatting with strangers, and I love how often I am now approached. I have a 4x5 view camera that was given to me recently, and I feel like I should prepare a sign, in anticipation of public shooting, that reads "yes, you can interrupt me! No, its not a bother!" I find myself on eBay searching for inexpensive, bizarre looking cameras. I never figured that photography would be such a social exercise!

-Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The f stops for Brownies with three apertures are 11, 16, and 22. (John N. already provided the link to the page where I got this information.) The Agfa camera is probably similar, though not necessarily identical.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin