Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,916   Online: 982

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had many dealings with Adorama. I always buy exc + or exc -. The equipment has always arrived as described and customer service has been excellent. Actually, pricing has been so good I've sold several items locally and pocketed the change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, like everything else the ratings systems are inflated. People want their stuff to sell. So we have Mint+++ but how can it be above mint??? Makes no sense. And "minty"... what does that mean? Some places rate things Bargain and they are just perfect, others rate them Excellent and they're in terrible shape. It is best to ask questions and get pictures when possible.

When Adorama hasn't had pictures online I've asked for pictures and they've been pleased to provide them for me. Good pictures and description and a good return policy from anyone should be enough. You shouldn't really need two years to decide that your camera is a piece of junk.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOster View Post
    But would it make any difference if we called it 'sausages'?
    Like I said, I have no beef with your company Helen and no desire to start any sort of argument. I also don't dispute that your company does define their grading system clearly. But in response to your question, yes it would make a difference. Words like "good", "excellent", "junk" and "sausage" are not completely arbitrary or meaningless. Regardless of how your fine print defines your use of them, they are words that carry inherent meaning and give distinct impressions to the potential customer. There is something to be said for "calling a spade a spade", especially in the business world where your company's success depends on earning and keeping the trust of the customer.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    ......There is something to be said for "calling a spade a spade", especially in the business world where your company's success depends on earning and keeping the trust of the customer.
    My apologies, I had perceived initially that your concerns were primarily against our listing and selling of such items at all, more than the use of the word 'good' - as the accompanying description is quite explicit.

I have passed your comments regarding the use of 'good' to describe the units in question to the used department for their consideration.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    So we have Mint+++ but how can it be above mint??? Makes no sense.
    That's like buying your clothes in Extra Medium size.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That's like buying your clothes in Extra Medium size.

Steve.
    Haha, like Extra Virgin olive oil. You are or you aren't LOL
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't stand the use of the word "minty"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No problem Helen! FWIW, KEH uses the terms "Bargain", "Ugly", and "As Is" for categories that roughly correspond to Adorama's "Excellent", "Good", and "Fair". My personal take is that KEH's terms have the effect of conveying to the potential customer that they are being extremely honest about the condition of their products and not trying to sugar coat anything.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    No problem Helen! FWIW, KEH uses the terms "Bargain", "Ugly", and "As Is" for categories that roughly correspond to Adorama's "Excellent", "Good", and "Fair". My personal take is that KEH's terms have the effect of conveying to the potential customer that they are being extremely honest about the condition of their products and not trying to sugar coat anything.
    The new ratings are now as follows:

• N) New (Brand new)
    All original packaging and manuals included.
    • D) Demo (Like New)
    Like New with little or no signs of use.
    • E+) Excellent Plus
    May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.
    • E) Excellent
    Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use.
    • E-) Excellent Minus
    Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality.
    • V) Very Good
    Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality.
    • G) Looks Ugly but works fine
    Appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality.
    • F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details.
    • X) For parts only. (except when otherwise specified)
    • OB) Open Box
    Was on display in our retail store, or used once or twice for training our sales associates or returned for any number of reasons.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin