Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,021   Online: 876

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB67 Info

I have been thinking about getting a RB67 for a while but don't know that much about them. I am currently using a Bronica ETRSi so I am familiar with medium format but think the bigger 6x7 negative would be nice.

I know that there are 3 models Pro, ProS and ProSD and wonder what backs and lenses will work with which models. I have noticed backs that are 120, 220 and some that does both. Also are RB and RZ backs and lenses compatible. It seems that RBs are reasonably priced and I guess this is because studios have gone digital. Just wonder where others find a good source for used RBs and if it is better to try to get the complete camera or just find all the pieces and put one together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find the "Reznitsky" Mamiya RB67 Compatibility Chart helpful.

http://www.reznitsky.info/Mamiya/Comchart.htm
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The RBs you list run from oldest to newest. Feature-wise, the Pro S is probably the best value for its double exposure lock-out with Pro S and Pro SD backs. RZs are electronic, RBs are mechanical cameras. Mechanical RB lenses will work on RZs but not vice versa. The RBs sold strongly for years, which means there's a huge reservoir of used gear. The big auction site usually carries around 500 listings for Mamiya RB67 equipment. There's lots of info online about the systems, along with online manuals. The usual RB kit is a 120 back, body, WLF and 90/3.8 lens. They're tough but many older models need their film backs re-sealed(easy). Sometimes the bellows are leaky, too. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the now-ancient Pro bodies/backs but would opt for a newer Pro S or Pro SD. Skip 220 backs since there's far less 220 film choice relative to 120. It's a very sweet system camera but far from petite. Still, I'd discount the customary blather about the RB/RZ being strictly a studio camera. I get around with mine and happily put up with the weight knowing the 6x7 negs and slides are worth the exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're going love it if you decide to buy one. I've got RB67 Pro-S a few years ago still love using it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my Pro S with two bodies, 4 120 backs, 5 'C' lenses and an Extender.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like the capacity to rotate the film backs for vertical shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went from an ETRS to an RB67. I got the ETRS as it was the only medium format SLR I could afford at the time. I think that if I had a bit more money and bought a Bronica SQ instead I wouldn't have progressed to the RB67. I'm glad I did though as I love using it hand held with the left hand grip and the waist level finder.

If you hand hold a lot though, see if you can try one out first as it's not going to suit everyone due to the weight.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As your across the pond in the States, I can always recommend www.keh.com - and with them the cheapest way is to buy a 'camera outfit' however, I've just checked their site and there are none available. The good news is that their stocks churn very fast so there should be more at KEH soon enough. Adorama is also another good US source. And of course, ebay....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I realize it is a little bit late for the original poster; but I've been working on a guide to the RB67 for the past year, http://rb67.helluin.org There is a substantial amount of overlap. My suggestion is to buy a Pro-SD body (most recent body), Pro-SD backs (won't have to deal with light seals) and whatever you feel like in lenses; the original and NB include single coating, the C have better coatings, the K/L lenses have the best coatings (but have heavy duty plastic barrels, rather than metal). Don't buy Pro film backs, they lack the convenient darkslide and multiple exposure interlocks available on the Pro-S and Pro-SD bodies. 120 backs are the only useful backs--unless you have a stash of 220 film to begin with. The 120/220 backs are, generally speaking, not compatible. RZ lenses and most accessories are NOT compatible with the RB. I have bought most of RB67 gear from keh.com and have had no problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Re RB67

I have a nice RB67 for sale if you are interested.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin