Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,131   Online: 850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If a student came up to me and had a camera as you described and wanted to know if it was worth the $150 to $200 it was being sold at -- I'd tell him to go for it. At $300 I would want to do comparison tests like you seem to have already done with your other 3.5E..

If the camera was originally mine and it had those defects in the taking lens, I would consider the defects as marks of strong character -- and would use the camera as if it were perfect. I use a lens shade all the time on my Rolleiflex, anyway. Buying such a camera to use as my main MF camera is questionable. The main question would be if I could afford a camera in such good condition and perfect glass!LOL!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh well, you can't have too many cameras, can you?

This is the fourth Rollei TLR I currently own. I might keep it for a while as a house camera, loaded with fast color film, ready on a shelf for shots of the family. Then I'll have my Automat MX loaded with fast B&W film as my other house camera, my 3.5F as city rig, and my Rolleiwide loaded with Velvia as my landscape setup.

If I thought I couldn't get $250 or so for it and have a satisfied buyer I'd probably strip it of the meter and sell that separately.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I lived in Pasadena I found a place called Pacific Universal who could do an amazing job of polishing and recoating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    so, Brian, I guess that this lens would be total trash???

Of course, it could be perfectly fine:

(and on 8x10 film no less....)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Supposedly you should have issue, But i have a AIS Nikkor 180 f2.8, the coating on the front element looks messed up, never had a problem with it color or bw.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be most worried about the fungus you think you cleaned off. I think it can come back unless removed totally (irradiation, perhaps?).

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. All my lens have cloudy spots, but that is due to my eyes!

Jeff
    I am going to second Jeff's comment here, and just also point out that I have a ton of lenses and cameras without any coatings and I would think any scratches and or fungus would be a much different matter than coatings. If you are able to demonstrate that any faults in the glass are off center enough not to be an issue or that they can't be seen, then I would think there not to be so much of a problem selling it. --- Just point out the faults as well as the positives.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't mind lenses with some marks on them and I would probably buy something with coating issues or chips if it was cheap enough and I was looking for something like that for whatever reason. But I simply don't touch lenses with fungus, you can clean it and it comes back eventually but my main concern is that one way or another it will end up in some camera bag along with other stuff and it will just infect the rest of it.
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format

fungus is everywhere. it doesn't "spread"

spores are in the air everywhere. One lens with fungus will not 'infect' others. They all have the spores. Storage condition determines whether they grow or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine gave me a Canon Canonet QL17 GIII that he gave me because he was worried about the fungus that was infecting the lens. I took the camera and replaced the light baffles and cleaned it up and hit the lens with UV light and now it takes some of the best pics of all the cameras that I own. So to answer your question, no, I would not be afraid of a lens with issues as long as it wasn't falling apart (I had one like that).
    Last edited by guitstik; 10-07-2010 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I lost the spelling bee
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin