Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,404   Online: 991

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

STRANDED IN THE PROVERBIAL DESERTED ISLAND

I've been wondering what Camera lens film combination i'd choose if I were to be exiled to the mythical deserted island....AND YOU COULD ONLY USE/OWN A ONE CAMERA LENS FILM COMBO.I am very lucky and I happen to own a substantial ammount of M.F. cameras and lenses in 645 6x6 and 6x7. So It is a pretty daunting idea to just limit myself to a one camera one lens and one film combination.I'm sure that if the rule was 2 lenses instead of one this exercise would be infinitely easier. So I'm sticking to these confining limitations.
    Anyway here I go: a PENTAX 6X7 A 75MM F4.5 AND FUJI ACROS 100 FILM (bthw film is not limited to 1 roll just, one type ).What would YOU take?....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RZ67 with a 110mm lens, and Tri-x. Seems to me, know what you aren't planning to do is just as powerful a decision as knowing what you will do. Limiting your gear to one camera, one lens, and one film would be enormously freeing. No more fretting about the "what ifs... " and just making pictures.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for such a delightful answer.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think I'd be worried about food and survival first and taking pictures second. But I know what you mean.

I would take along my Zeiss Ikon Contax IIa with a 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar with some Agfapan APX 100.

By the way, I think you would be stranded "on" the island, rather than "in" it. Unless you were in a cave. In that case, I'd take the same camera but with some Kodak TMax 3200.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it was medium format, I'd take a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta C (6x9) with the same Agfa film (outdoors) or TMax 3200 (in the cave).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This was covered by a thread started by 2F/2f. It was about giving up all your cameras, which would you keep. The thread ran its course and was pretty well beat to death. Search for it.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Simple -- my Rolleiflex 2.8F. One does not want more than one lens on a desert island, anyway -- changing lenses is just an opportunity the the Swedish Women Beach Volleyball Team to accidently kick sand into your camera.

(I assume one would not be exiled to the desert island all alone!LOL!)

Oh...and TMax100, unless I was contacting the negs using alt processes -- then I would go with Tech Pan. (or is it only the TMax sheet film that has the UV blocking layer?)

Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 09-30-2010 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I the only one who would pick Delta 100 in 4x5? I spent the summer contact printing cyanotypes in 4x5 and just loved those negatives. Now, for a camera, it would have to be one that I don't actually own right now. I do bravely cart my next-to-indestructable cc400 around in the field, but for a desert island I'd want something a little more portable.
    Now, if I wanted to be found, it would be my Rolleiflex 3.5f. Every time I take it out of the case somebody comes up and tells me their uncle had one.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any old camera in a working cell phone so I can call for transportation to get me off this stupid island.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Suzanne's suggestion sounds good to me too. I guess I would go for the rb67 though, with a 127mm lens, assuming that power and batteries might be a concern on this hypothetical island. Oh, and I'd pack fp4+.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin