Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,586   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad Light Leak

Hello.

I purchased a Hasselblad 500 CM off Ebay. I`ve noticed that I get what looks like white streaks of various sizes in my photos. At first I thought it was flare, but the photos I took today seems to indicate a light leak.

I`ve attached one below.

I`ve done a bit of research on the web to see what is causing it, but there seems to be different reasons (loading the film incorrectly, damaged back, etc). I`m hoping it is not the lens (50mm F4 C Chrome). I`m wondering if someone here could shed some light on this for me. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Iight leak colour467.jpg  

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm guessing light leak. You might consider contacting David Yau, a competent repair guy with considerable Hasselblad experience:

http://harrysproshop.com/Yau/yau.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would think the likely culprit would be the light seal on the back. It is pretty easy to replace yourself from the kit listed on ebay. I have 2 backs and both needed light seal replacements when I got them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree. The light seals in the magazines need replacing every now and then. Simply Google "Hasselblad Light Seal repair" and you'll find plenty of information about how it's done and where to get the parts.
    Frank Schifano

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Light seal replacements on most MF backs isn't a horrible job but might not be a DIY job for everyone. Here are the basics:

http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/ht/htseal.aspx

Scared? Call David Yau for a quote. It's a common fix and shouldn't be too pricey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had that exact leak before and for me it was caused by the light seal not being installed correctly. If the seals stick out by even a bit, the back will be slightly warped and lifts a corner which becomes this triangular light leak when you take a photo. Just got to replace or fix the light seals...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, everyone! I`ll try to find that kit on the bay, and if all else fails, David Yau will be getting a call from me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Previously I also had similar problem, look here. I then bought a light seal from ebay and installed it myself which was rather easy. And the problem was gone. Have a look on ebay, they are quite common and rather inexpensive. Or you can certainly do it yourself using some foam material.
    Last edited by chioque; 10-05-2010 at 07:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The nice thing is that David will also do a complete CLA and ensure that the gap between images is even, great guy.
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It pays to learn how to do it yourself.

Changing seals is something you need to do in regular intervals.
    You could have a repair person check the back every time a seal is replaced, but that is both not necessary and far too expensive.

You will notice when a back needs seeing to. As long as there is no problem, having a repair person check it serves very little (none at all, i'd say) purpose.
    Provided that the back is in good shape to begin with. Else you might want to have it serviced (have the only part that really wears - though slowly- replaced: a nylon stop. Once replaced, good for many decades of use) and then you do not have to have it looked at until you begin to notice something might not be quite right.

So find a good supply of seals (i make my own from a very cheaply available, but perfectly good foam), remember that you only need to change the mylar foil part if it is damaged, and just do it yourself.
    It's easy enough, and doesn't take long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin