Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

What is the best polarizing filter for my RZ? Not looking to spend heaps ;)

Hey everyone

I just read that the filter I'm using on my RZPro II is apparently specifically made for 'autofocus SLR cameras'.
    It's a Hoya 77m circular polarizing filter.
    So my question is, will there be any difference to my images if I use this filter, or should I use one that is more suitable for my RZ??
    And if so, which ones are the best to use?
    I'm needing one for saturation of skies/foliage greens more than reflection elimination.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A circular polarizer is a regular linear polarizer with a device (called a quarter wave plate) behind it that turns polarized light into 'unpolarized' light again (not really unpolarized, but the plate gives the polarisation vector a twist, sets it into rotation, and the light will behave like unpolarized light.)
    That device is expensive. Hence the extra costs of circular polarizers.
    Some metering devices (be it light meters or autofocus sensors) make use of reflecting surfaces, and polarized light will not work properly. And if your camera or meter is among those who are affected, you will need a circular polarizer. If not, a regular linear polarizer will do.

The effect however is exactly the same, since the polarizing bit in both types is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both, as I use them in combination for a variable ND filter. But the point I want to make is that sometimes I don't check which one I grab and have never had a metering problem with my OM10/20,Kiev88cm TTL,F601,E500,E510 and D200. I do use the Cokin P series, if that would make any difference.

I have a preference to the linear as I don't have to find the "sweet spot" every time, especially for those grab shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I have both, as I use them in combination for a variable ND filter.[...]
    For that, it would be easier to have two linear polarizers. Put a circular one in front, and it will not work. So with both types, you will always have to make sure you put them on in the correct order.

Quote Originally Posted by mrred View Post
    I have a preference to the linear as I don't have to find the "sweet spot" every time, especially for those grab shots.
    ???
    As polarizers, both types work exactly (!) the same.
    So when you can find a 'sweet spot' with one, you should have no trouble finding it with the other.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So with linear, the polarization is set and you don't have to turn a ring, right?
    Whereas with circular, I have to turn the ring and see through the lens when I've
    found the amount of contrast I want.
    Am I right?
    (Sorry, I have used filters before and am not a dullard, but it is pre-caffeine and I
    am just trying to get my head around this clearly!)
    So why would I bother getting a circular if all I'm going to do is turn it to the
    point of contrast that I would instantly get when attaching a linear?
    That's what you meant, isn't it Mrrd?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, No.

With both linear and linear + quarter wave plate (i.e. circular) you have to rotate the filter to find the orientation at which it does what you would want it to do.
    There is no difference at all.
    No difference, because the working bit in both types is exactly the same.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your 77mm Hoya circular polarizer should be fine. Just make sure the outer ring is threaded to take a Mamiya lens hood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Hey everyone
    It's a Hoya 77m circular polarizing filter.
    Holy cow! 77 METER polarizer? that's a one heck of HUGE filter!!

Note to self: resist making a smart *ss comment next time...
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The circular polarizers are needed because some camera metering systems* are fooled by the light transmitted by linear polarizers.

Your RZ67 (or more accurately, none of it's metering options) is not one of those cameras.

The biggest reason to get a circular polarizer anyways is that it allows you to use the polarizer on any camera that you might have (with the appropriate filter size) without worrying about the issue.

The biggest reasons not to get one are:

a) cost; and
    b) if you intend to use polarizers as a Neutral Density filter.

*As an irrelevant aside, does anyone know whether a linear polarizer is compatible with a Canon Pellix?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tkamiya, yes, I have an RZ the size of a small aircraft hangar. It's rare. But you get that in Australia.
    Ahem. So anyway, I always just meter completely analogue, I don't have a digital
    camera nearby to cheat with, and I don't own a prism finder so my metering for the
    light while using any kind of polarizer will be all about getting f stop and shutter speed
    right, then applying the right compensation ratio, yeah?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin