Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,356   Online: 1200

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    My immediate reaction is to wonder what the market is for this kind of gear at what must, inevitably, be high prices? It's likely to be beyond the means (and needs) of 99% of amateur enthusiasts, while most professionals are not likely to want to change from their established equipment, and particularly not to upgrade in a time of recession?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which is exactly why i think DHW is not a manufacturing enterprise, not a revival of Rollei, but a small scale trading company that turns scrap (the inventory of parts and almost finished products they bought themselves out of the bankruptcy) into something (much) more valuable.
    You can do that if the costs are low (and being small, and not doing much else but assemble already made parts, the costs involved are low) and the margins are big.
    They may not sell fast, but there certainly is a market for prestige laden, very expensive luxury products. (Look at Leica and what they manage to pull off.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I do not understand how high-end camera companies who make commercial cameras, like SINAR, Rollei, and Hasselblad can expect to compete with their own used markets with the older-style cameras,
    I've wondered this about film gear in general, not just the high-ed stuff. Who is paying $1K+ for a new enlarger, when decent used ones are plentiful and practically being given away? Institutional buyers, and buyers for whom there are tax advantages, I guess. If you are a commercial user and expect to really be using the camera very heavily, it might still be worth buying new to make sure you get something that will last. But this is, I think, part of the reason new film cameras are almost gone--the supply of used gear is more than equal to the demand.

Shooter
    35mm
    The DHW guy in the article says they're making new Rollei 35 cameras at an "attractive price". Anyone know how attractive? And has anyone had a chance to try them (such as at PhotoKina)? Their website is just a stub right now.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    I've wondered this about film gear in general, not just the high-ed stuff. Who is paying $1K+ for a new enlarger, when decent used ones are plentiful and practically being given away? Institutional buyers, and buyers for whom there are tax advantages, I guess. If you are a commercial user and expect to really be using the camera very heavily, it might still be worth buying new to make sure you get something that will last. But this is, I think, part of the reason new film cameras are almost gone--the supply of used gear is more than equal to the demand.
    I bought a new Kaiser a while back ago from Freestyle. I felt no qualms whatsoever about paying for a high quality enlarger and supporting the industry.

I do buy used plenty - but there are also times when I buy new. Just not when the price doesn't match the purchase itself. For instance if a company were selling a 7k$ rangefinder, no I would not buy that - period. But if it were being sold new for 1k$, and used for 500$, I might consider buying it new because I may feel it's worth it's price. In the case of the enlarger I still felt it was worth it's price.

Comparatively, I picked up a used, but solid, DeVere 504 with transtab, a ton of neg holders, 3 Schneider lenses, and some odds and ends for around 1k$ and felt it was definitely worth it based on the value of the equipment itself and it's solid functionality.

Sometimes there is the market and sometimes there is perceived value.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin