Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,467   Posts: 1,570,731   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightest 6x7?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    if you want to enter into the guessing game with filters and rangefinders, i just found a neat solution from Lee.
    http://www.leefilters.com/downloads/...mallWonder.pdf
    maybe an experienced rangefinder user can throw us some light to the subject

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is not too difficult to use ND grads with rangefinders after running a few tests. If you want lightweight and you want 6x7 the Mamiya 7 is the option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have nothing new really to add ... Besides that I have a Pentax 67 and a Bronica GS-1, and while the Bronica is lighter than the Pentax 67, it's still pretty heavy. So if you really need light, I'd say you have to go with the Mamiya 7 or one of the Fuji rangefinders. They're all pretty pricey though. But the Bronica's have really good grips IMO. And if you slap a grip on a Bronica, they're pretty easy to handle and you still get all the flexibility of a slr vs a rangefinder. Not to mention the GS-1's are less than half the price of a Mamiya.

Also, if you want to buy a Bronica GS-1 to test it out, I have one for sale in the Classifieds. I ever have a 65mm lens that I could package with it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    It is not too difficult to use ND grads with rangefinders after running a few tests. If you want lightweight and you want 6x7 the Mamiya 7 is the option.
    Brian is right about the Mamiya 7's being light. I have never tried ND grads with mine. I don't own it, but Mamiya made (maybe still makes) a polarizer that fits on the lens, flips up over the viewfinder for adjustment and then back down for the shot. I think B&H carries them. My memory is that they are pricey (north of $200).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deisenlord View Post
    No contest; Plaubel Makina 67W

Very pricy however.
    Agreed. On both the light weight & exhorbitant price. But an incredibly fine machine if you can find one in good condition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Just curious, why would folders be difficult to use w/ grad filters? Are you using gelatin or threaded filters?
    I've never actually used a folder, but the Lee adapter ring is threaded to the lens thread and looks like it might be incompatible with a folder's shape?

Can anybody confirm this?

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 10-12-2010 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    But guys, if folders are out because the difficulty using grad filters, then Mamiya 7 isn't going to cut it either. Read the OP again.

Bronica GS-1? Maybe too heavy too? A small LF camera - like a Galvin with a 6x7 rollfilm holder and a 65 mm Angulon.
    It's not actually the difficulty of using grads on a rangefinder (I use them easily enough on my Fuji GA645zi and Fotoman 617), more the shape of a folder - it looks like the Lee lens-mounted thread might be incompatible?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use both the P67 system and the Mamiya 7 system. The Mamiya is indeed more compact and a lighter burden but the actual difference is very little compared to the support system differences required for each. The Mamiya is easily controlled with a good, light-weight tripod where the Pentax requires quite serious and bulky tripods to work properly, even with wider lenses. The Mamiya wide angles are wonderfully distortion-free and will bring back superior images in more situations. The Pentax glass is very good but the Mamiya rf optics (especially the wides) are in a different league, in my experience.

Something I also found is that because of the ease of carry, I actually have the Mamiya with me. The P67's and heavy pod got easier to leave behind as the years passed and I missed some good opportunities just for that simple reason. I wouldn't fret the filter issue as a little practice will get you tuned into that.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely not a Koni-Omega!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest the best of both worlds: a folding medium format view camera with a rangefinder. Graflexes will be among the lightest, simplest, and least expensive, and Linhofs and Horsemans among the most full featured. You can use it hand held, or you can use the ground glass. You can precisely position your grad filters because you have TTL viewing (albeit upside down and backwards ). You also get a large reduction in weight and cost over the Pentax, and the ability to use any lens you can fit on a board. Finally, you get some camera movements. You may find the rear shutter of a Speed graphic to help you out if you wish to use barrel lenses.

Personally, I would go for a Horseman VH or VHR (with rangefinder, which works only with Horseman lenses) if I wanted the best compromise of features – including extensive movements – and price. (The VH does not have a rangefinder, so has no hand held shooting ability.) I'd go for a Crown or Century Graphic if movements were not important, and a Speed Graphic if you want a rear shutter for barrel lenses at the expense of a little bit of bulk and weight.

Check out this link: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/roundup2x3.html, and this one: http://www.bnphoto.org/bnphoto/LFN/LFGalleryPress.htm.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin