Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,281   Online: 869

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightest 6x7?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I use both the P67 system and the Mamiya 7 system. The Mamiya is indeed more compact and a lighter burden but the actual difference is very little compared to the support system differences required for each. The Mamiya is easily controlled with a good, light-weight tripod where the Pentax requires quite serious and bulky tripods to work properly, even with wider lenses. The Mamiya wide angles are wonderfully distortion-free and will bring back superior images in more situations. The Pentax glass is very good but the Mamiya rf optics (especially the wides) are in a different league, in my experience.

Something I also found is that because of the ease of carry, I actually have the Mamiya with me. The P67's and heavy pod got easier to leave behind as the years passed and I missed some good opportunities just for that simple reason. I wouldn't fret the filter issue as a little practice will get you tuned into that.
    Very helpful post, thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I I'd go for a Crown or Century Graphic if movements were not important, and a Speed Graphic if you want a rear shutter for barrel lenses at the expense of a little bit of bulk and weight.
    There is another trade-off though with the mini Speed Graphics- you lose the ability to use wide angle lens like the 47mm Super Angulon or the mythical ~35mm Biogons which is probably important for landscape photographers. Totally agree that the 2x3 Crowns are an overlooked option though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    There is another trade-off though with the mini Speed Graphics- you lose the ability to use wide angle lens like the 47mm Super Angulon or the mythical ~35mm Biogons which is probably important for landscape photographers. Totally agree that the 2x3 Crowns are an overlooked option though.
    Good point for those interested in using super wides. The Crown is a better choice for this (as it is with 4x5 format for those wishing to use lenses shorter than 65mm). Personally, I find that super wides have almost no utility for what I shoot in landscape situations, and even regular wides are rarely used. I use moderate wides (generally no wider than 65 mm on 6x9) to long lenses (360mm on 6x9), so the Speed would work for me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You know, you could use a folder if you set one up on a tripod unloaded, set the filter in to the camera and then set it in several positions that you think you might find useful by using a ground glass on the back of the camera then mark the viewfinder so you know where the gradation line is by using the lines you put on the viewfinder. True you will be shooting sort of blind, but you would just have to check your shot by holding the filter and looking through it before you mount it on the camera.

Just a thought, I hike and I know that every gram counts, but really, you are caring a Pentax 67II into the woods, that's a lot of camera to carry into the woods, that has got to hurt.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Just a thought, I hike and I know that every gram counts, but really, you are caring a Pentax 67II into the woods, that's a lot of camera to carry into the woods, that has got to hurt.
    I sometimes hike with the P67II+75mm lens, stowed in a Lowepro Toploader in my climbing sac. I sometimes take my Fotoman 617II pano instead, but it's heavy too. The camera is only half the issue - I take the majority of my mountain / landscape photos in lower light, which combined with the often strong wind and d.o.f means that a tripod is essential. Fairly mounts up, weight-wise!

I've also got a lightweight Fuji GA615zi rangefinder which I sometimes use for long mountain trips coupled with a very lightweight tripod, but even though this is a great camera with fab lens, I still love the bigger film size of the 6x7 format...

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found my Bronica SQ-B centred kit can get to around 20kg once camera rucksack and tripod have been taken into account. On the other hand, my "new" Mamiya 7II doesn't seem much larger or heavier than the Bronica RF645 it has replaced. However, on a note of caution, I often find the 250mm lens useful on the 6x6 SLR Bronica so I don't expect the Mamiya 7II to function as a direct replacement. The medium format SLR still has a place.

Are you planning to keep the Pentax 67 and do you use long lenses?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    I've found my Bronica SQ-B centred kit can get to around 20kg once camera rucksack and tripod have been taken into account. On the other hand, my "new" Mamiya 7II doesn't seem much larger or heavier than the Bronica RF645 it has replaced. However, on a note of caution, I often find the 250mm lens useful on the 6x6 SLR Bronica so I don't expect the Mamiya 7II to function as a direct replacement. The medium format SLR still has a place.

Are you planning to keep the Pentax 67 and do you use long lenses?

Tom
    I use the P67II for about 80% of lmy andscape photos and love it - I would never part with it. I use a whole range of lenses - 55mm, 75mm, 105mm, 135 macro and 300mm for my 'non-mountain climbing' landscape photos.

The lightweight 6x7 question was really just about finding a substitute camera if possible solely for use on long mountain days. Judging from the answers in the thread it does not look like a Mamiya 7 with one wide-angle lens is going to save me as much weight as I originally thought...

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 10-13-2010 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    C.V. Bessa III 667 W / GF 670W (Fuji) but have to wait for a few months.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ebony makes a very nice little 6x7 WA camera with an extension back and front movements. It has a swinging door to open the GG and insert the roll film holder..it weighs almost nothing!!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a strong proponent of using a GS-1 with a WLF. Without the prism, it is a lot lighter and is very easy to handle in the field. The big drawback is that you are pretty much stuck with horizontal format. (unless you like twisting your neck sideways to compose your image.)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin